FTDI, available from Glyn High-Tech Distribution has introduced a new development platform to support the Android Open Accessories initiative.
FTDI’s commitment to the initiative now allows engineers to achieve exciting new system designs that are compatible with tablets and smartphones utilising the highly popular Android operating system.
FTDI CEO and founder Fred Dart says that the company has decided to provide support for the Android Open Accessories initiative in both the Vinculum II dual USB host/device controller IC and the low cost Vinco development boards.
He adds that FTDI’s support will positively impact on the way engineers carry out future development projects, giving them access to a far greater breadth of device connectivity.
This will also benefit engineers using the company’s Arduino-inspired Vinco platform to create USB 2.0 connected embedded systems.
The Vinco development platform offers a key advantage over other development platforms with the host controller capability already integrated into the board itself, eliminating the need for design engineers to budget for an extra USB host controller card/IC to implement Android Open Accessories.
Toolchain version 1.4.2 is the latest release of the Vinculum-II (VNC2) development with improved reliability and performance over previous releases.
Key features of Vinco development platform:
- Cost effective Vinculum-II (VNC2) development platform inspired by Arduino
- Dual channel USB Host/Device Controller targeted at rapid development and prototyping of USB Host/Device interfaces
- Superset of the Arduino Duemilanove/ Uno with two extra rows of headers providing an extra 10 pins
- Can be programmed using a subset of standard ANSI ‘C’ using the FTDI free development tools, software drivers and libraries
- 8-channel, 10-bit ADC, PWM interface
- Supports connectivity to a wide range of application boards developed by the Arduino open-source community
- Module uses a VNC2-64Q package to facilitate 38 GPIO options on 0.1” pitch header pins
- 10-bit A/D converter offers connectivity to analogue inputs and can be read by the VNC2-64Q SPI host interface
- Includes one USB type A connector for a USB host port and one mini-B connector for a USB slave port to provide access to the VNC2-64Q USB ports
Key features of Toolchain:
- Android Open Accessory class driver with sample VNC2 application and Android application source code included
- Source code for Android Open Accessory, CDC and Printer USBHost class drivers included
- Performance improvements for various drivers including USBHost, USBSlave and FAT File System
- Ethernet (WizNet 5100 via SPI) and RTC (via SPI) drivers added
- Improvements to reflashing API for firmware update from Flash disks
- Introduction of new API for run time access to unused FlashROM pages
- Precompiled samples for FT232 to UART and CDC Modem to UART applications
- AppWizard now supports Vinco projects