FTDI, available through Glyn High-Tech Distribution has launched a new low-cost development platform for embedded systems.
USB silicon and software specialist Future Devices Technology International Limited (FTDI) has unveiled the Vinculo embedded development platform inspired by the popular Arduino Duemilanove/ Uno.
Featuring USB Host/Slave controller with integrated 16-bit CPU, the Vinculo development platform creates new possibilities for cost-effective embedded design.
Key features of the Vinculo embedded development platform:
- Allows designers to integrate powerful USB 2.0 interfacing by incorporating FTDI’s Vinculum II VNC2-64 dual-channel Host/Slave controller
- Interfaces to the growing range of I/O application boards developed by the Arduino open-source community
- Combines a 16-bit/48 MHz CPU core, 256KBytes of Flash memory and 16KBytes of SRAM memory to support external UART, FIFO, PWM, GPIO and SPI Slave/Master interfaces
- Brings together all the hardware and software needed for rapid development of innovative, cost-effective embedded systems
- Integrates an 8-channel, 10-bit analogue-to-digital converter (ADC)
- Supports 38 general-purpose input/output (GPIO) connections, and USB A and mini B (host and device) connectors on a compact 55.38mm x 68.58mm board
- Onboard ADC simplifies connection to sensors, actuators and other analogue devices
- Existing I/O boards can connect to the Vinculum II VNC2 via the GPIO connections
- Vinculo programming language utilises a subset of standard ANSII ‘C’ with FTDI supported, free software development tools, libraries and reference designs
Firmware can be developed using the Vinculum II development tool chain, which provides an integrated development environment (IDE) including C compiler, assembler, linker and debugger tools.
FTDI provides robust device class driver libraries including USB Mass Storage, HID (Human Interface Devices), Printer Class, Image Class, Communication Class and Instrumentation.
FTDI’s CEO and founder Fred Dart comments that the Vinculo module and associated design tools provide a low cost but full featured solution for embedded designs with the bonus of flexible USB host and device connectivity.