4D Systems has announced the release of its new micro-DRIVE (uDRIVE-uSD-G1), available through Glyn High-Tech Distribution . The micro-DRIVE (uDRIVE-uSD-G1) is a compact high performance “Embedded Disk Drive” module that can be added to any micro-controller design that needs a DOS compatible file and data storage system.
Most microcontrollers feature a small and limited on-chip memory and for those applications that require large volumes of data, the micro-DRIVE will integrate the GOLDELOX-DOS chip onto a tiny 'drop-in-module'
A serial interface that is simple is all that is needed to remove the burden of low level design that would otherwise be needed for the host controller.
Features of the micro-DRIVE include:
- Is a general purpose data storage device featuring a simple serial interface that can be used with any design in a range of embedded applications.
- DOS compatible file access (FAT16 format) and low level access to card memory
- On board microSD memory card interface and adaptor. Accommodates off the shelf microSD removable memory cards with up to 2GB capacity
- Serial commands that are simple provide full read-write access to the card
- Easy 5 pin interface to any host device: VCC, TX, RX, GND, RESET
- Serial interface (TTL levels) with auto-baud feature from 300 to 256K baud rates
- Tiny footprint: 14.9 x 18.9 x 3.5mm
- 3.6V to 5.5V range operation
- RoHS Compliant
- Onboard Status LEDs
- Audio, Video and Image file storage
- Embedded program, data or configuration storage for processors and FPGAs
- General purpose embedded data logging
- GPS type data base storage
- Industrial, medical, automotive, security and gaming equipment
- Test, measurement and general purpose instrumentation