In January 2007, Getex carried out a detailed hazardous materials survey for buildings and structures remaining at Middle Head, a total of 36 buildings. Based on the findings of the survey, a Hazardous Materials Management Plan was prepared.
For the purposes of this survey, the term hazardous materials includes asbestos products, synthetic mineral fibre (SMF) materials, lead based paint systems, lead in ceiling dust and electrical components containing the class of compounds known as polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs).
The survey identified the following:
- Asbestos cement (AC) materials are present in most buildings.
- SMF present in the insulation of the roof spaces, in air-conditioning ducts, in hot water tanks, and in ceiling tiles.
- Capacitors containing PCBs present in the fluorescent light fittings in several buildings.
- Lead based paints present in most buildings, particularly on walls and ceilings.
- Lead in ceiling dust, asbestos containing vinyl tiles, asbestos cement sheeting debris and some asbestos lagging materials were noted in some buildings.
The above survey for hazardous materials was used to formulate a Hazardous Materials Management Plan which included a hazardous materials register, details of the hazardous materials identified and an assessment of risk and recommendations for risk control strategies.
Reference to the above can be in Sydney Harbour Federation Trust Management Plan – Mosman No.7 Middle Head 7 June 2007 Part II.