GS1 Australia , along with the Australian Food and Grocery Council (AFGC), has launched a national product recall service – GS1 Recallnet – to assist supply chain retailers in removing potentially harmful groceries, foods, liquors and other related products.
GS1 Recallnet has already registered several big supply chain retailers, including Coles, Woolworths, Metcash, Costco, as well as Food Standards Australia and New Zealand (FSANZ) and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commision (ACCC), in receiving notifications and updates with the service.
Features of the GS1 Recallnet Services:
- Manage recall and withdrawal notifications online, safely and securelyFollow an easy and intuitive workflow that makes the process of issuing notifications simpler
- Reach customers across Australia instantly and without duplication of effortCommunicate with FSANZ
- Receive immediate feedback from customers on the progress of the recall or withdrawal
- Easily capture the data needed to complete progress reports to regulators
- Significantly reduce risk in the event of a recallLower their risk profile with insurers and lower insurance costs
- Contribute to the improved wellbeing of all Australians
“Product recalls pose a significant challenge to Australian manufacturers and this portal will enable them to manage recall notifications easily, ensuring the food safety of all Australians,” says Carnell.
“Australia’s food and grocery industry has an excellent food safety record and Recallnet provides a world class tool for manufacturers to ensure we maintain this record.”
Maria Palazzolo, CEO of GS1 Australia, says extending existing GS1 Australia services in assisting product recalls and withdrawals will provide consumer safety into the supply chains. It would reduce errors in food and consumer products organisation, decrease the amount of time it takes to respond to recalls and mitigate the costs associated with the managing recall process.
“Global supply chain standards are foundational to effective product recall. GS1 global standards are used by millions of companies around the world to enhance the safety, security and efficiency of their supply chains. Tracking of products through the supply chain into the hands of consumers has been identified by the ACCC as fundamental to improving recall effectiveness and the use of GS1 Recallnet and GS1 Standards provides industry with this ability,” says Palazzolo.