GE Intelligent Platforms introduces the ICS-1572A ADC/DAC (Analogue-Digital Converter/ Digital-Analogue Converter) XMC transceiver modules designed for deployment in radar, signals intelligence, communications as well as test and measurement applications.
The ICS-1572A ADC/DAC transceiver modules are designed to act as a powerful link between the analogue world of sensors and the digital world of computing. The new board features 16-bit data acquisition at up to 250MHz and the latest Xilinx Virtex-6 FPGA processor to deliver unprecedented performance in a cost-effective, compact and lightweight form factor.
Building on the legacy of GE’s industry-leading digital receivers, the ICS-1572A ADC/DAC transceiver modules deliver several customer advantages including:
- Ability to perform faster sweeps when scanning for spectral activity
- Opportunity to use lower cost analogue RF equipment
- Capability to reduce the cost of the system back-end processing engine
- Facility to use electronic ‘steering’ rather than physical array steering
- Option of using existing arrays for multiple purposes
The higher sampling rates allow for higher instantaneous bandwidth to be captured, therefore meeting the challenging frequency coverage requirements of surveillance systems. The use of high speed DDR3 memory allows for deep waveform storage and tolerates the interrupt latency associated with non-real time operating systems.
Dan Veenstra, Product Manager at GE Intelligent Platforms comments that the ICS-1572A is a compelling solution in a number of ways:
While current 16-bit solutions are typically limited to frequencies of 200MHz or less, the ICS-1572A delivers speeds of up to 250MHz. The ICS-1572A also uses the latest generation FPGA from Xilinx, providing significantly more processing power than products based on earlier generations in addition to reducing the load on the back-end processing engine.
Key features of the ICS-1572A ADC/DAC modules:
- Provides two 16-bit ADCs sampling synchronously at frequencies up to 250 MHz and two 16-bit DACs at up to 500 MHz
- ADC input pass band is 4.5 to 800 MHz (3dB) to allow for under-sampling applications
- Xilinx Virtex-6 LX240T FPGA is provided for user-defined signal processing functions, giving greater capacity than previous generations
- Virtex-6 device also provides a PCI Express interface to the host system
- Protocols such as Serial RapidIO provided on request
- FPGA provides a powerful signal processing capability that can be loaded with standard functions such as wideband DDC, FFT and time stamping or programmed by the user
- XMC form factor