GE Intelligent Platforms introduces a new range of rugged single board computers (SBCs) based on the latest 3rd Generation Intel Core quad core processor technology.
The new SBC325 single board computers bring substantially increased processing performance to customers using the 3U VPX form factor to develop and deploy demanding industrial and mil/aero applications such as command/control, ISR (intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance), radar/sonar and signal processing.
According to Rod Rice, General Manager, Military & Aerospace Products, GE Intelligent Platforms, many of their customers are working on demanding applications that are highly constrained in terms of size, weight and power. The 3U VPX SBC325 provides an excellent solution, thanks to the improved thermal performance of the new Intel processor, which helps to deliver improved response times and throughput as well as reduce the thermal footprint of the solution.
In addition to offering enhanced performance per watt, the 3rd Generation Intel Core processors can also maintain full performance at more elevated temperatures than the previous generation, offering an opportunity for the development of new capabilities in small form factor applications.
Provision of a mezzanine XMC/PMC site for optimum flexibility and expandability or a quad fat-pipe (x16 PCI Express) for high performance connectivity to GPGPUs makes the SBC325 an exceptionally versatile platform suitable for a wide range of High Performance Embedded Computing (HPEC) applications.
Key features of the new SBC325 single board computers:
- New OpenVPX platform is 100% compatible with previous two generations in GE’s 3U VPXcel3 family, allowing a cost-effective upgrade path
- Available in five build levels from benign (air cooled) to fully rugged (conduction cooled)
- 2.1GHz Intel Core i7-3612QE processor featuring Intel Advanced Vector Extensions (Intel AVX)
- Up to 8GBytes of DDR3 memory
- Solid state disk drive of up to 32GBytes capacity
- I/O options include Gigabit Ethernet, SATA, USB and audio
- Supports Windows 7, Open Linux, Wind River Linux and VxWorks