The new rugged, OpenVPX-compliant SBC312 3U VPX single board computers (SBCs) are ideal for restricted environments such as unmanned vehicles and based on the 8-core Freescale QorIQ P4080 processor.
SBC312 single board computers deliver superior processing performance while maintaining power consumption and heat dissipation at the level of earlier dual core 3U VPX single board computers.
Existing users of the SBC310 and SBC330 will find the SBC312 an optimum technology insertion opportunity that further enhances their sustainable competitive advantage. The SBC312 is the sixth 3U VPX SBC platform announced by GE and is also available with the QorIQ 4-core P4040 processor.
Rob McKeel, President, Military & Aerospace at GE Intelligent Platforms says that the SBC312’s support for eight processor cores will allow many legacy applications to be re-implemented in enclosures that are smaller, lighter and more cost-effective, reducing multi-slot configurations to a single slot.
He adds that it supports the development of very compact, high throughput solutions for new applications with optimum performance/watt characteristics.
Key features of SBC312 single board computers
- Available in 5 air- and conduction-cooled ruggedisation levels for maximum reliability in military or aerospace applications
- Also available in VITA-48 format for 2-level maintenance
- Features up to 4 GBytes of dual channel DDR3 memory
- Significant flexibility, allowing the SBC312 to be configured to precisely meet the demands of a broad range of applications and environments
- Two x4 PCI Express Gen2 links are provided, each of which can be configured as four x1 PCI Express links
- Two 1000BaseT ports are provided, together with two serial ports, two USB 2.0 ports, two SATA ports and up to eight GPIO ports
- PMC/XMC mezzanine site is also provided to enable application-specific functionality to be added
The SBC312 will benefit from GE’s broad software roll-out for QorIQ platforms including the innovative P2P software, which provides PCI Express peer-to-peer connectivity, together with BSPs for VxWorks 6.x, SDKs for Linux (Open Embedded) and Wind River Linux, a full Deployed Test suite, Wind River Hypervisor support and Integrity from Green Hills Software.
The QorIQ system on chip (SoC) processor family from Freescale Semiconductor implements one or more high-performance e500 Power Architecture cores running at up to 1.5GHz, and is designed with networking applications in mind.
QorIQ is an evolutionary step from earlier Power Architecture Freescale processors, allowing upgrade and technology insertion while maximising customer investment in software, applications and expertise.