GE Intelligent Platforms introduces the Wolverine III rugged flat panel computers designed specifically for deployment in harsh, hazardous (Hazloc) environments.
Patented technology and complete redesign combine to give the Wolverine III high performance and reliability as well as improved serviceability, making the flat panels suitable for application in oil and gas exploration and drilling where salt, spray, dust, shock, vibration and temperature extremes create challenging environments.
Wolverine III rugged flat panel computers are used for data gathering and control or operation of sophisticated equipment. The redesigned flat panel computers deliver significantly higher performance, reliability and maintainability while weighing substantially less than the predecessor models.
According to Tom Behnke, Product Manager, Systems and Displays at GE Intelligent Platforms, Wolverine III rugged flat panel computers are easy to service in a minimum amount of time, meeting the requirements of professionals working in hazardous, harsh locations such as oil platforms who need rugged reliability and ease of maintenance of equipment.
Key features of Wolverine III rugged flat panel computers:
- Resistive 15-inch antiglare, scratch-resistant touchscreen is readable even in direct sunlight
- Rugged design enables operating temperature range of -20ºC to +60ºC as standard
- Optional heater allows an operational temperature range of -40ºC to +60ºC
- Withstands extreme shock and vibration in harsh environments
- Low weight of 22.5lbs ensures easy installation, and safer and more convenient transportation
- Computing platform is a COM Express module and carrier board designed specifically by GE for the Wolverine III
- Intel Core2 Duo 2.26GHz processor at the heart of the COM Express module
- 4 GBytes of DDR3 memory
- Reduced component and subassembly count, together with extensive edge connection and a 32GByte SSD drive maximises reliability
- Shortened MTTR – Mean Time To Repair through ATEX Zone 2 concept of user-serviceability
- Modular construction allows customers to easily and quickly repair the computer, minimising downtime
- On-board system monitoring allows potential failure to be identified, enabling remedial action to be taken with minimal disruption
- Upgradable design with future generations of processor
- Housed in a NEMA 4 environmentally sealed enclosure with corrosion resistance