GE’s CRS family now comprises of eight packaged, pre-validated, ready-to-run rugged data/processing control computer systems for a broad range of military and commercial applications including civilian and military unmanned vehicles, manned commercial and military aircraft, helicopters, over- and underwater research vessels, ground vehicles, locomotives and oil and gas applications.
Designed to reduce program risk, cost and time-to-market, the new application-ready CRS-C2I-3VB1 includes a single board computer featuring a 2.2GHz Intel Core i7 processor housed in a rugged, base-plate cooled 2-slot 3U VPX chassis featuring MIL-DTL-38999 connectors. Solid state storage is optionally available.
Other members of GE’s COTS Rugged System family offer a range of choices using the 3U VPX and CompactPCI architecture in 2-, 3-, 4- and 5-slot chassis and featuring processors from Intel and Freescale.
According to Rod Rice, General Manager, Military & Aerospace Products at GE Intelligent Platforms, the new range of COTS Rugged Systems helps customers eliminate costly NRE investment, the arduous task of selecting, integrating and testing off-the-shelf boards and the complexities of dealing with multiple points of support, all adding up to a solution that is not only less costly, but also carries minimal risk and can be delivered more quickly, shortening the time to revenue.
Minimisation of program risk and cost is further enhanced by GE’s program management competencies, together with extensive experience and expertise in the AS9100-compliant analysis, design, manufacturing and testing of systems in accordance with the relevant MIL and industry standards such as MIL-STD-810, 704, 461, and DO-160.
Key features of CRS-C2I-3VB1 system:
- I/O capabilities include Ethernet, serial, USB, MIL-STD-153, CANbus and VGA
- Extensive I/O capabilities deliver significant flexibility in an off-the-shelf system
- Assured high performance from the combination of a powerful Intel Core i7 processor and VPX technology
- Can be used for both application development and application deployment
- Software development cycle time minimised through Board Support Packages (BSPs) and drivers to aid integration