The two new SBCs, the XCR14 6U CompactPCI and XVR14 6U VME platforms join the previously-announced SBC324 3U VPX and SBC624 6U VPX single board computers, bringing advanced processor technology and leading edge performance to its customers.
GE’s new single board computers are suitable for defence and aerospace applications beyond command and control such as signal processing in intelligence/ surveillance/ reconnaissance (ISR) and radar/sonar environments.
Key features of the XCR14 and XVR14 SBCs:
- Choice of dual-core or quad-core 2nd generation Intel Core i7 processors operating at up to 2.5GHz
- Range of four performance/watt options, and up to 16GBytes of soldered DDR3 SDRAM with ECC
- Sophisticated in-built graphics capability and Intel’s AVX technology make them ideal for challenging industry and telecommunications applications
- Both SBCs benefit from GE’s extensive ecosystem of CompactPCI and VME hardware and software, easing the development and integration of complete systems
- Long-term program support through GE’s product lifecycle management (PLM) services
- Pin-compatible with predecessor models, the CR12 and VR12
- Both platforms are available in five build levels, including air- and conduction-cooled
- Comprehensive range of onboard I/O features including four Gigabit Ethernet ports, five USB 2.0 ports, two DVI ports, VGA, audio and two COM ports
- Two on-board mezzanine expansion sites capable of enhanced system flexibility
- Support for SATA ports
- Comprehensive Deployed Test Software (BIT and BCS) plus OS support for Windows 7, Open Linux, Wind River Linux and VxWorks
According to Rob McKeel, President, Military & Aerospace, GE Intelligent Platforms, the new SBCs broaden the number of embedded computing architectures that can take advantage of the performance of Intel’s latest processors.
Regardless of whether a customer is committed to OpenVPX, VME or CompactPCI, GE can offer a solution that is rugged as well as flexible and provides the opportunity to reduce overall system size by putting more capability into a single slot.
The two new embedded computing platforms, together with those announced previously provide an optimum upgrade path/technology insertion opportunity for existing customers in line with GE’s long-term commitment to maximising the value of customer investments.