Three Flexicon BFC Series bulk bag unloading systems were installed at a leading UK manufacturer’s facility to eliminate health, safety and productivity concerns associated with its existing vacuum method of unloading bulk bags.
Robert McBride Ltd, a leading private label and contract manufacturer of laundry, household cleaning and personal care products in Europe chose the Flexicon bulk bag unloading systems for a dedicated, triple-layer, dishwasher tablet line at its Barrow-in-Furness facility.
The existing vacuum method of unloading bags led to dust and spillage as well as process slowdowns caused by the need to tie off partially filled bags at the end of a session, which also required two operators.
The new Flexicon BFC Series bulk bag unloading systems contain dust and spillage, allow partially empty bags to be retied more easily while also offering McBride greater manufacturing flexibility. The three identical bulk bag dischargers enable the manufacturer to simultaneously press up to three layers of different formulae into single-, double- or triple-layer tablets.
The bag-to-conveyor interface is comprised of a Spout-Lock clamp ring positioned atop a pneumatically actuated Tele-Tube telescoping tube. The clamp ring is manually operated using quick-release handles for rapid and safe, yet dust-tight connections between the bag spout and hopper. Material can be released to fall freely into the hopper rapidly and dust-free.
Flexicon's Power-Cincher pneumatically actuated flow control valve contains a series of curved, articulated stainless steel rods that cinch the spout concentrically on a horizontal axis for easy tie-offs and vertically in a tight zigzag pattern to prevent leakage of fine powders. Only one operator is required to tie off partially filled bags, greatly increasing productivity efficiency.
Key features of Flexicon BFC Series bulk bag unloading systems:
- Bag spout interface creates a dust-tight seal, promoting material flow and total evacuation of the bag
- Allows for easy retying of partially filled bags and can collapse empty bags, free of spillage and dust
- Enclosed dust hood with two dust extraction valves aligned to a third party dust extraction unit added as a failsafe system
- FLOW-FLEXER bag activators raise and lower opposite bottom edges of each bag at timed intervals to loosen compacted materials and promote material flow into the bag discharge spout
- Bag activator eliminates dead spots and promotes total evacuation of material with no manual intervention
- System incorporates a cylindrical floor hopper with a low-level sensor
- Flexi-Finger pneumatic flow assister promotes powder flow through the feeder auger
- System starts and stops on demand of the downstream packaging line
- Line purge valve ensures all material in flight prior to shutdown is delivered to keep the line clear and ready for the next product cycle