Lenze's Polish distributor, Lenze Rotiw used the fast dynamic torque response provided by the SMVector AC drives to deliver much smoother control and overcome problems of product stretching and breakage on a complex 10-station multi-winder employed in the production of polyester rope.
The multi-station winder used by the rope manufacturer was causing major operational problems in terms of quality of product, unplanned downtime to repair breakages and high maintenance costs.
The operator of the machine sought a totally integrated control solution: one that required no manual input but could control and optimise the process within precise parameters.
Lenze Rotiw provided a solution based on Lenze's SMVector drive. An ideal retrofit drive, the SMV is easy to use, extremely compact and with vector technology including PID functionality, suitable for more precise motion applications where dynamic speed and torque control are required.
The SMV was supplied as part of a fully automated drive package by Lenze Rotiw. As a retrofit drive, the SMV had to work in conjunction with a series of dancer shafts on each of the 10 separate winders on the machine. The dancer control function is used to control the winding speed in conjunction with sensors that determine stretching in the rope and provide digital signals to the SMVector drive.
Based upon feedback from these sensors, the internal PI function in the SMV drive calculates the error correction to optimise the dancer control, ensuring that the correct tension is restored and control of the winding is ultra-smooth.
Following commissioning of the SMV AC drive, the speed of the winding changes effortlessly and precisely in accordance with rope stretching, eliminating rope breaking and ensuring even stretch of the rope material, allowing the winding process to be much more stable.
Key features of SMVector inverter drives:
- Single phase operation from 0.37kW to 2.2kW
- Three-phase operation from 0.75kW to 45kW (IP31 version)
- Eliminates the cost and complexity from vector-based motor control
- Offers fast dynamic torque response, sophisticated auto-tuning and impressive low speed operation
- Compact, low cost and simple to use package
- Ingress protection up to IP65 allows for outdoor use and harsh environments
- Designed for small motor applications requiring dynamic speed and torque control such as conveyors, food production, packaging lines and HVAC systems
Lenze SMVector AC drives are available in Australia through FCR Motion Technology .