The Imbiber Bead system from Enware Australia was used in a major infrastructure project in the ACT for oil spill protection.
The Imbiber Bead system is an absorbent polymer with broad industry applications in environmental oil spill protection and control.
Enware’s unique safety and protection product is designed to clean up localised oil spillages as well as provide an early warning system.
Supplied by Blackwoods Canberra, the Imbiber Bead system from Enware SafeEquip has been purchased by the Bulk Water Alliance for spill protection on dam and pumping projects including the Cotter Dam upgrade.
The Imbiber Bead oil spill protection system is intended for broad application throughout industries such as automotive, building, construction, electrical, engineering, food and beverage, farming, government utility, hospitals, infrastructure, manufacturing, metal processing, materials handling, military, mining and petroleum, process engineering, primary product processing, water and wastewater as well as safety media.
Two Imbiber Beads standard packs (18cm x 18cm) have been shown in tests to fully absorb a litre of diesel fuel in water in 15 minutes.
Matthew Shanley, Key Account Manager for Blackwoods says that the Imbiber absorbent polymer soaks up any hydrocarbons and also provides a colour indicator of the presence of these substances.
In a typical application, Imbiber pads can be placed on booms that are used for protection against potential hydrocarbon spills on rivers or lakes during engineering projects, he adds.
Imbiber portable spill protection pads have been added to their spill kit by the Bulk Water Alliance to ensure good environmental management on a major dam development project being delivered by the Alliance for ACTEW Corporation, as part of a suite of water security projects for the ACT region.
Steve Lawler, Senior Environmental Officer for the Bulk Water Alliance says that the Imbiber pads have been purchased to help them cope with the possibility of both smaller and larger spills.
The Alliance, through Blackwoods Canberra has also purchased Enware SpillPal spill containment systems for use in tasks such as portable pumping as well as casual refuelling of trucks and tankers.
Key features of Enware’s Imbiber Bead super absorbent polymer system
- Absorbs spills without leaching
- Ideal for use in waterways as a protective barrier to prevent leakage from land into water or vice versa
- Effective on hydrocarbons and a wide range of organic chemicals
- Incorporates a colour indicator that facilitates easy 24/7 monitoring when used as a protection shield in waterways or potentially hazardous areas
- Visual indicators within the beads change colour from white to pink to red as hydrocarbons and organic chemicals are absorbed
- Once an organic liquid has been absorbed the beads swell to saturation with packs growing to four or five times the original thickness
- Can capture and contain leaks while drastically reducing explosive vapours
- Only absorbent product able to capture spills without releasing waste
- Available in packs, pillows, blankets or powder blends to suit varying applications
- Can also be incorporated into the new trolley-mounted Enware SafeEquip Safety Stations
- Absorbents are designed to take hydrocarbons and organic liquids into their structure and immobilise them, eliminating vapour emissions or associated health risks
- Saturated Imbiber Bead pillows or blankets can be squeezed with no risk of organic liquid dripping out
- Excellent performance in water: Can remove oil or solvent layers without leach or wash out
- Less waste is produced for cleanup because Imbiber Beads retain spilled hydrocarbons very effectively
- Reduced waste lowers labour and disposal costs
- Imbiber beads mixed with a sand blend are highly effective in containing and absorbing spills on the ground
Imbiber beads are part of SafeEquip’s comprehensive range of safety products including spill containment solutions, environmental and worker protection products as well as emergency response equipment such as customised spill kits, spill management systems, eyewash and decontamination solutions.