In the early days of television in Australia, the favourite show on the black and white box was the quiz programme, BP Pick a Box.
Winning contestants had the option of selecting their prize between sums of money or a prize hidden in a box.
Compere, Bob Dyer, would ask the contestant, ‘The money or the box?’
There is little doubt that a latter-day contestant would plump for box, especially the one which recently left the Glendenning (Sydney) premises of pallet manufacturer and recycler, Enviro Pallets.
The hardwood box, which was to be used by a client to house a large yet fragile and obviously expensive piece of equipment, measured 1.65 metres high, 1.35 metres wide and 3.15 metres long.
Naturally there was more wood in the box than you would find in Sherwood Forest but fortunately 90% of it was recycled timber. The box weighed a massive 807kgs.
The custom-made division of Enviro Pallets originally comprised two members, a retired former cabinet-maker and an assistant,
However such was the growth in custom-made box and pallet orders the division quickly outgrew its little cranny situated in the corner of the workshop.
“The foreman (retired cabinet-maker) and his offsider are always on the go and normally they are bolstered by two or three other workers to help meet demand,” said Enviro Pallets general manager, Mark Duffin.
Originally started as a little sideline earner, the custom-made division is now a major contributor to the Enviro Pallets bank balance.
Enviro Pallets, based at Glendenning in Sydney’s west, really is your one-stop shop for everything pallets.
- Recycles second-hand pallets. Giving new leases on life are softwood and hardwood standard (1200mm x 1200mm) pallets, 4-way entry EURO 1 (1200mm x 800mm) and EURO 2 (1200mm x 1000mm) pallets, popular 1100mm x 1100mm pallets plus a wide range of bastardised sized pallets
- Markets a full range of second-hand plastic pallets – economy, heavy duty, industrial, rackable, export and pressed wood pallets
- Manufactures new standard (1165mm x 1165mm) and 1100m x 1100m softwood and hardwood pallets
- Manufactures custom-made pallets
- Manufactures boxes
- Offers an on-site heat-treatment service for clients required export pallets to meet strict export regulations
Enviro Pallets is an accredited export pallet heat treatment facility under the Australian Wood Packaging Certification Scheme: Certification No. 13648.