Posi Lock hydraulic puller technology from Enerpac (A Division of Actuant Corp) is being employed by the MMG Century Mine in Queensland to safely and efficiently perform difficult equipment maintenance jobs.
A Posi Lock hydraulic puller was used to remove two hard-to-shift couplings from a gearbox and a Warman pump effortlessly and in a quarter of the time it would normally take, according to Anthony Calleja, Relief Team Leader at MMG Century Mine, Australia’s largest open pit zinc mine, located at Lawn Hill in north-west Queensland.
This Posi Lock technology is part of a broader range of hydraulic and mechanical pullers from Enerpac that offer quick set up and faster, safer operation during the removal of components such as seals, retainers, bushings and inaccessible parts of engineering, electrical, manufacturing, mining, transport and other equipment.
Mr Calleja recently used a 10 ton (9.07 tonne) Posi Lock puller on the electric motor to remove a coupling for the electricians, who were impressed with the ease of effort. He is planning to acquire some more equipment from the Enerpac catalogue for his site.
Posi Lock pullers were supplied to MMG Century Mine through Enerpac distributor Cooper Fluid Systems of Townsville/Mount Isa working in conjunction with Enerpac Territory Manager, South-East Queensland and Northern NSW, Ms Sandy Whyman. Ms Whyman recommended specific models of their Posi Lock solutions to Mr Calleja based on the issues faced on the site while removing couplings from gearboxes.
MMG Century Mine acquired a three-jaw 15-ton puller and a three-jaw 25-ton puller, as well as hydraulic grip pullers and Hydra-Lift technology from the Posi Lock range.
Key features of Enerpac’s Posi Lock manual and hydraulic pullers:
- Models from 2 tons to 100 tons (1.81-90.71 tonnes) capacity
- Available in two and three-jaw configurations
- Patented ‘Safety Cage’ jaw retention system enhances operator safety, increases operational precision, and minimises possibility of damage to machinery components
- Slim tapered jaws designed to overcome difficult access to important machinery components during overhaul and routine maintenance
- Combines efficiency with safety, allowing a single person to do a 2-person job
- Solid grip on surfaces where normal pullers would slip off (e.g., on tapered bearings)
- Reduces time, effort and risk from tasks such as lifting, forming, fabrication, bending, bolting, pressing, pulling, production automation and maintenance
- Capacities of 2-40 tons (17-356 kN)
- Roll-threaded shafts for less effort when applying high torque
- Available with inside and outside pulling configurations
- Maximum reach of 101-355mm, spread of 12-635mm and weight range of 1.4-30.8kg
- Capacities of 10-50 tons (101-498 kN)
- Maximum reach range of 203-355mm, spread range of 19-635mm and weight range of 6.4-45.4kg
- Available with ram point sets, long jaws and lift plates
- Designed for the heaviest of pulling tasks
- 100 ton capacity
- Mounted on a roller cart
- Maximum reach of 1219mm and spread range of 190-1778mm
- Hydraulic cylinder enables operation from floor level to a height of 1.7m
- Adjustable jaw tips
- Includes multiple pushing adaptors