Pyramex safety glasses available from Elliotts are designed for comprehensive eye protection in the workplace.
Pyramex safety glasses offer a high level of protection against dangers from physical objects as well as from UVA and UVB rays, long term exposure to which can cause permanent eye damage.
Lenses in the Pyramex safety glasses are made from high grade UV400 polycarbonate, providing maximum protection against harmful UVA and UVB rays that contribute to conditions such as cataracts, macular degeneration and growths on the eye including cancer.
UVB radiation is considered more dangerous to eyes and skin than UVA radiation. UVA rays are the primary ones absorbed by the eyes. While they pose far less concern than UVB, doctors still recommend that they be avoided. UVC rays are not a concern, as they are blocked by the atmosphere.
Visible Light Transmission (VLT) describes the amount of light reaching the eyes through the lenses. Measured as a percentage, VLT is affected by the colour, thickness, material and coatings of the lenses.
Polycarbonate lens specifications
The lenses of Pyramex safety glasses are made from polycarbonate, a soft material that absorbs energy from impact without breaking or cracking. Used for 99% of all safety spectacles, polycarbonate was originally developed for the aerospace industry. Polycarbonate offers good chemical resistance against diluted acids, alcohols, greases and oils.
Anti-scratch coatings are required for polycarbonate lenses to prevent scratches and provide resistance to abrasions as polycarbonate is a soft material. Anti-scratch coatings do not affect the optical characteristics of the lens.
Anti-fog coatings on polycarbonate lenses are permanent and offer additional scratch resistance as well as anti-static protection.
Pyramex’s H2X anti-fog technology blocks out fog, mist, sweat and steam, allowing vision to remain optically clear in any weather condition. Available in select models of Pyramex safety eyewear, H2X anti-fog, anti-scratch coating is permanently bonded to the lenses, and will continue to be effective even after repeated cleanings.
Pyramex safety glasses are also available in multiple colour and protective lens types to suit diverse workplace applications.
- Clear lenses are designed for general purpose indoor applications that require impact protection
- Grey lenses are commonly used in outdoor applications, offering protection from excessive glare
- Amber lenses are typically used in indoor, low light applications to enhance contrast
- Indoor/Outdoor mirror lenses are coated with a light gold mirror finish to reduce glare while moving between indoor and outdoor applications
- Silver mirror lenses are grey polycarbonate lenses with silver mirror coating, commonly used in outdoor applications to reduce glare
- Sky Red mirror lenses are grey polycarbonate lenses with a double layer of silver and red mirror coatings, commonly used in outdoor applications
- Ice Blue mirror lenses are grey polycarbonate lenses with a double layer of silver and blue mirror coatings, commonly used in outdoor applications
- 3.0 IR filter lenses are used around welding sites or for light brazing or cutting
- 5.0 IR filter lenses are used around welding sites or for medium to heavy cutting and medium to heavy gas welding