Leading safety gear specialist, Elliotts has carried out a series of changes to their firefighting systems to reduce the stress factor for firefighters.
During any fire operation, firefighters rely on a strong team to back them up as well as high quality firefighting equipment and safety clothing to support their own body systems. Firefighters in structural or wild land fires put their body through various stress factors including extreme heat, direct contact with flame, smoke inhalation, gas vapour environments, moisture from internal and external sources, physical exertion, touch point damage from environmental surfaces and localised weather conditions.
Anthony Elliott explains that many of the changes made to their firefighting systems aim to reduce stress to the body while increasing protection during a fire. When firefighters use their personal protective equipment (PPE) during a fire situation, the gear should be responsive and comfortable. By improving the PPE, firefighters can be more comfortable in these extreme environments, allowing them to perform their jobs with greater ability and under less stress from poorly designed equipment.
Key changes in the firefighting equipment design carried out by Elliotts included:
- Reinforcing of contact areas with AraShield including padded shoulder harness braces to distribute weight evenly over the shoulders and minimise the friction on stress points
- Shaped elbow reinforcing
- Reinforced abrasion resistant sleeve cuffs with water resistant FR neoprene sleeve wells
- Nomex knit wristers with thumb loops
- Angled bellows pockets with Velcro closure
- Pocket flaps with AraShield pull tab for easy opening when wearing gloves
- Trousers include a contoured knee design to allow unrestricted movement along with a gusseted crutch for extra mobility
- Shortened jacket with an extended tail, under arm gussets allow free movement with minimal coat rise
- Two-piece shaped sleeve allows natural movement of the elbow
Elliotts is an Australian based designer, manufacturer and distributor of world-class quality safety gear servicing the Australasian market.