In gas chromatographs (GCs), materials are detected at molecular level by preparing a sample of the material that is carried on a gas stream into the GC.
The carrier gas flow stream is sent into small capillary flow tubes and then into detectors to sense and quantify the suspected materials. These carrier and capillary flow rates are critical to the correct performance of the gas chromatograph.
The flow rates and pressures through the various gas flow paths vary by manufacturer’s specifications.
Alicat Scientific has recognised the need for an accurate and versatile device that is capable of verifying these critical aspects of a GC’s performance, for multiple gases, and pressures.
The Alicat mass meter M series with optional battery pack, available from Duff & Macintosh , creates a portable flow measurement device for each of these parameters. The multifunctional graphical display is the heart of Alicat’s ideal fit for this application.
The display features combine to provide multiple benefits in one compact device:
- Selection from more than 30 of common gases and mixtures
- Verification of mass measurement on the input and vent of the GC
- Verification of volumetric measurement on the vent of the GC
- Verification of the pressure on the inlet and vent of the GC
The application of the Alicat mass meter M series as a tool to verify correct operation of a GC is further augmented by the attributes of Alicat gas flow products including the following:
- ± (0.8% of Reading + 0.2% of Full Scale) Accuracy for precise measurements with options for even greater accuracy
- ± 0.2% Full Scale Repeatability for consistent measurements
- 10mS or faster response to changes in flow, pressure or temperature
- 100:1 Turndown Ratio allows one unit to cover both the capillary and carrier gas flow ranges
With the multiple features built into one, compact, portable device, the Alicat mass meter M series can be a valuable tool in the verification of demanding and critical GC analysis.