2008’s Designbuild Expo to be held in Melbourne, 15-18 June will be a landmark event for the Australian building and design industries, according to organisers Diversified Exhibitions Australia .
Designbuild 2008 is a large trade-only building and design industry show in Melbourne. It will also be also eco-friendly with a major focus on sustainability and green building.
With the green building movement gaining momentum, demand for water saving devices outstripping supply and a dynamic national debate on climate change, all mean an environmentally aware market searching for eco-friendly solutions. There is also little doubt that industry professionals, designers, builders, engineers and contractors are hungry for knowledge on the new products and developments in sustainable building practices.
Designbuild 08 will champion the sustainable building cause by providing knowledge at green building seminars and inspiration in new product feature areas – Green Building Zone, A Green Plumbing Zone and an Ecospecifier Zone, featuring new green products for the building industry.
“Those professionals who have questions or doubt the economic value of sustainable building will have their questions answered, while those already committed to green building will be exposed to some of the latest innovations in the one place, saving valuable time,” said Exhibition Director, Bill Hare.
“Everywhere you look you’ll discover new thinking to inspire and inform you. It will definitely be the ‘must see’ event for the industry this year.”
Designbuild 08 will feature more than 400 exhibitors including major group stands from Canada, China, Malaysia and Taiwan and international exhibitors from Finland, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, Singapore, Slovenia, Turkey and USA.
Green Building Seminars
The Designbuild Green Building Seminars are staged in conjunction with the Australian Architecture Association. Leading-edge practitioners of environmentally sustainable architecture, design, building and construction will speak about the green building revolution.
Architecture, design and building students will be admitted free on showing student cards.
- Compliance and the environment – how accessible design is not just for the disabled
- From the industrial revolution to eco-urbanity
- Sustainable materials – current drivers and issues
- Green Star – The next generation
- Smarter Construction – how to achieve cost effective building
- Climate appropriate design – designing in colder arenas
- The cost and value of green
- Innovations in green building design
- Six-star building performance – the 40 Albert Road experience
- Downsizing; the only sustainable design option for cities, buildings and homes
- Achieving the 6-star Green Star Rating
- Applying rating tools to develop an autonomous house
- Sustainable specification for sustainable building
The Green Building Seminars are complemented by a Green Building Zone, with exhibitors showcasing new green building products.
Key industry sectors are also catered for with product feature areas within the exhibition enabling visitors to quickly locate any products or companies that are of particular interest.
Building materials and equipment, frames and structures, plumbing, windows glass and doors, IT/ CAD technology, building automation and smart home ideas, interior design, flooring, kitchen and bathrooms, lighting and electrics, heating and cooling, safety and security, finishes and surfaces, tile and stone, and concrete are some of the feature areas.
Export opportunities on the menu
In addition to attracting international exhibitors, the show attracts a large number of international buyers presenting a good export opportunity for exhibitors. This year, Austrade will bring key international buyers under a Premium Buyer program to Designbuild.
Austrade buying groups are coming from Fiji, Hong Kong, India, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, Sri Lanka and Taiwan.
In 2007 at Designbuild Sydney, 429 international buyers from18 countries attended and Austrade facilitators saw real export opportunities arise for a range of local companies.
“Designbuild has an enviable reputation of presenting the very latest ideas and products for specifiers and buyers and the number and diversity on offer this year will be exceptional,” said Mr Hare. “If you are in any way involved in the building industry then Designbuild is a must attend event in 2008,” he added.
Green plumbing comes into focus
The prolonged drought in Australia has led to an almost insatiable demand for cost efficient water-saving devices and the need for plumbers to enhance their skills and knowledge about the environmental aspects of their work.
To assist everyone in the industry to come up to speed on what is new and how to include and implement the new products and technologies, there will be a Green Plumbing Zone featuring new eco-friendly products and services for the plumbing industry.
Green Plumbers training programs
The Green Plumbers training program is designed to assist plumbers in understanding their role in relation to environmental and public health so to be in a better position to advise and assist customers with up-to-date information. Program topics include climate care, caring for our water, solar hot water and water-efficient technology.
2008 Australian National Plumbing forum
Hosted by the Institute of Plumbing Australia, the forum is a must attend for all in plumbers as it covers important water issues facing Australia, including reuse of waste water and water cycle management.
Plumbing Supply Forum 2008 Monday 16 June
The annual Plumbing Supply Forum is the key business event for Australasian plumbing product manufacturers, importers and merchants.
The 2008 theme is balancing water and energy savings with plumbing system functions.
Presenters and topics include:
- Housing Industry Association – Outlook for the residential sector over the next few years.
- Connection Research – The most complete overview ever undertaken of the Australian plumbing industry.
- Department of Environment – An industry briefing on the Government’s national policy to hot water units and its position with solar systems.
- National Plumbing Regulators Forum will update the industry on issues under the spotlight of state regulators as part of the process of an Inter-Governmental Agreement to progress plumbing reform.
- Former MP for Hasluck – Managing the Flow, a House of Representatives Standing Committee report by the Environment & Heritage Standing Committee – a watershed for the Australian plumbing industry?
- The Industry Skills Training Council will outline achievements to date including SkillsOne website, a web and cable TV based career information service.
- Plumbing Industry Group will provide an update on the US market with water-saving product regulations and issues relevant to Australia.
- AHSCA – A detailed briefing on their sustainable design strategy and the challenges his members have with providing sustainable water systems for the community.
- Technical Forum with Jeff Clark (South Australian Water Corporation and Chairman of the National Regulators Forum Technical Advisory Committee) and Dr Steve Cummings, Research & Design Manager, Caroma. The presentation will outline issues that affect everyone involved in the supply chain.
Ecospecifier supports Designbuild with a big presence
EcoSpecifier will support the show with a major presence on the floor of the exhibition. EcoSpecifier aims to help building professionals and specifiers create a more sustainable physical environment by increasing the use of environmentally preferable and healthy products, materials and design processes.
The EcoSpecifier Zone will not only showcase some of new environmentally-friendly products and services, but will also include an open area for product demonstrations and informal seminars where all visitors are welcome.
Precast Concrete seminars
The National Precast Concrete Association Australia will stage a one day seminar program designed to give a practical insight into the efficient design of buildings using cost-effective precast concrete panels. Presented by John Woodside F.I.E. Aust, F.A.S.C.E., M.I.C.E, M.I. Struc.E (Winner of the John Connell Gold Medal) and local national precast members.
The topics include materials and tolerances, precast building design, manufacture, transport and erection, design of elements, contractual and design responsibilities, connections, fixings and joints, thermal, acoustic, fire properties and architectural aspects.
Competition will be fierce for the coveted Best Product Awards to be presented on Tuesday 17th June
- The Architectural Product News and Selector.com – Best New Product Award
- The Australian Innovation Award judged by Connection Magazines
Supported by major associations
Designbuild is endorsed by several industry associations including the Australian Architecture Association, Building Designers Association of Victoria, Master Builders Association, CEDIA, Green Plumbers, Institute of Plumbing Australia, Master Plumbers and Mechanical Services Association of Victoria and the National Precast Concrete Association.
Designbuild Australasia will be staged at the Melbourne Exhibition Centre for the Trade Only from 15 - 18 June 2008.
- Sunday 15th June 10am - 5pm, Monday 16th June 10am - 5pm,
- Tuesday 17th June 12 noon – 9pm (late night) and Wednesday 18th June 10 – 4pm