Renishaw range of inspection probes, available from Dimac Tooling , can be used on lathes and grinders for component setting and inspection applications. Inspection probes identify the position of the workpiece, automatically adjusting offsets to ensure parts are manufactured right first time.
Quality assurance is maintained throughout the project through first off inspections, in-process inspections and post process inspections. Most common lathes and grinder inspection probe applications are used onsmall horizontal lathes (LP2 probe), tool grinders (LP2H probe) and large vertical turret lathes (MP016 radio probe).
The application of probes to the set-up of CNC machine tools brings productivity improvement by reducing the downtime associated with manual set-up of tools, fixtures and work pieces, including the vast accurate inspection of first off components.
Following are the benefits of inspection probing system usage:
- Part identification for FMS installations
- Component location and also miss load detection to avoid scrap
- Excess material identification to bring the cutter to the component fast and safely
- Reduction of machine idle time due to waiting for feedback from an off-line inspection device
- Correct of error automatically after first-off inspection
- In-process inspection ensures critical final cuts are correct, and any errors are highlighted before they become faults
Post-process inspection provides information to certify that the component is within its specification and records part dimensions for statistical process control.