Dewar Electronics is proud to announce that GarrettCom, Inc. will be releasing the next generation of IEC 61850-compatible, substation-hardened managed switches, targeted for power utility applications, at DistribuTECH 2011 in San Diego on February 1-3, 2011.
Designed to provide the bandwidth, precision, and hardening required for optimisation of smart grid initiatives in substation environments today, the new Magnum 10KT Managed Switches include:
- industry-leading sub-10-nanosecond timing precision for utility applications
- dual hot-swappable power supplies in a 1U rack-mount switch
- up to 36 ports which can be configured to meet the needs of each installation, including up to four Gb ports
- a substation-hardened enclosure that feature an advanced thermal design technique to allow the switches to run cooler and more efficiently
- an enhanced version of the field-proven Magnum MNS 6K software with robust security features built-in.
Tests have demonstrated that GarrettCom’s patent-pending hardware/software design supports a mean synchronisation time accuracy of less than 10 nanoseconds. The 1588v2 timing features supported include master clock, boundary clock, and transparent clock.
The timing accuracy exceeds the requirements of “next generation” 61850-3 specifications, enabling complex Smart Grid substation networks to perform in harsh environments as technology continues to evolve.
Magnum 10KT Managed Switches are highly configurable. They provide 10 slots for combinations of port types and support up to 36 100Mb fibre and copper ports, four of which may be Gigabit. By providing this high port density, Magnum 10KT Manged Switches provide the connectivity necessary for more IP-intensive substations and reduce the potential points of failure in a substation communications system.
With both a backup power supply and hot swappable replacements, the Magnum 10KT Managed Switch offers a very high level of reliability. Power supplies are available with multiple voltage options including 90-250V AC-DC, 125VDC, 48VDC, 24VDC, and universal AC.
These Magnum 10KT Managed Switches also feature an enhanced version of GarrettCom’s field-proven MNS-6K and MNS-6K-SECURE Managed Software to complement the switches next-generation capabilities, including software support of 1588 v2 timing protocols as well as security features including VLANs, SSL/SSH, Radius, and TACACS+.