The extreme temperatures encountered in cold storage applications require designed communications equipment and mobile computers. IP54 rated mobile data computers for cold storage applications are available from Dematic .
Batteries do not release their energy efficiently when temperatures drop below certain levels, frost obscures LCD screens, restricting visibility, and can also cause keys to stick, and barcode scanners and image capture devices also do not function properly if frost covers their optical ports.
Condensation occurs when equipment moves from one temperature zone to another, which can cause internal components to corrode and potentially short-circuit. Radio waves also travel differently through cold, damp air than they do in warmer, drier conditions, with the insulation used in coolroom panelling also affecting the transmission of radio signals.
Ruggedised mobile computers for warehouse and other industrial environments typically have an IP54 rating, which means they are protected against dust and splashing water.
IP65-rated mobile data computers with appropriately insulated access points are recommended for cold storage applications.
Mobile data computers for cold storage applications should also feature larger, easier to use buttons for operators who will be wearing thick gloves. The hands-free, eye-free feature of voice-directed computing makes it a suitable alternative to RF-directed operations in cold storage applications.
Following are the cold storage technology solutions:
- Barcode and RFID scanners/readers
- Handheld and wearable mobile computers
- Vehicle-mounted mobile computers
- Touch-screen mobile computers
- Special models for wet, cold and hazardous areas
- Proof-of-delivery and mobility solutions
Following are the benefits for RTL users in cold storage environments:
- Removes paper facilitating paperless warehousing
- Ensures accurate data collection/ transfer
- Eliminates time and labour-consuming repetitive tasks
- Enhances worker productivity by eliminating time wasted working out what to do or where to go
- Optimises equipment and resource utilisation
- Facilitates real time data transfer and supply chain management