Colby storage equipment manufacturer Dematic has introduced a new rack safety audit and inspection service for storage racks to ensure safer operations in warehouses and distribution centres.
Why inspections are necessary
Dematic’s storage system safety service is required because storage racks can change over time through damage, reconfigurations and extensions. Keeping storage systems safe, fully documented and in compliance with current standards is an important aspect of warehouse management as well as workplace safety in accordance with OH&S regulations.
How Dematic can help
Dematic employs a team of highly-trained professional rack inspectors who are equipped to review and identify necessary repairs to ensure storage systems meet the necessary standards and safety requirements.
Dematic offers two levels of storage system safety service depending on the application to ensure a safe working environment:
- Rack audits provide a comprehensive overview of storage system condition and what needs to be fixed, including independent certification of the storage system
- Rack inspections are regular visual inspections to identify and categorise damage and enhance in-house inspections by providing an independent third party report
Dematic’s storage system safety service looks for:
- Any unapproved changes to the ‘As Built’ installation drawing
- Structural integrity of any unapproved changes
- Display of Safe Working Load signage on relevant bays of racking
- Damage to rack uprights
- Damage to footplates and floor fixings
- Condition of any splices
- Correct installation of racks
- Condition of horizontal and diagonal braces on rack frames
- Damage to beams
- Secured beam connectors and safety clips
- Weld cracks between beams and connectors
- Any overloading of the rack
- Use of any damaged or inappropriate pallets that could compromise safety