The new Distribution Centre (DC) being built by Blackwoods, Australia’s leading source of industrial, and safety workplace needs will feature a range of integrated logistics technologies from Dematic .
Blackwoods’ new 17,800m² DC in Greystanes, Sydney is designed to better service the diverse requirements of their customers. The largest business of the Wesfarmers Industrial and Safety Division, Blackwoods has a product portfolio of over 200,000 stock keeping units (SKUs), which are serviced from over 90 geographical locations within Australia, New Zealand and Indonesia.
Dematic’s integrated logistics technologies include:
- 50 Dematic Multishuttle 2 next generation ASRS machines, servicing 32,000 storage locations
- 7 Dematic Goods-to-Person (GTP) workstations, providing both picking and replenishment functionality
- 12-way despatch sorter plus a dedicated outfeed for the in-house embroidery store
- 11-zone routing system integrating ColbyRack pallet live storage, carton live storage and binning
- Dematic PickDIRECTOR warehouse control system (WCS) software
- VOcollect voice picking solution
- ColbyRack pallet storage incorporating 11,000 pallet positions plus a 400m² mezzanine floor
According to Dematic’s Industry Manager, Darren Rawlinson, a significant challenge for Blackwoods is that the order profile can range from large branch orders to single line orders, which have to be processed quickly to reduce waiting time at the DC trade counter. Coupled with a wide range of SKUs, this means that the responsiveness of the GTP system is critical to the ongoing operation.
He added that Dematic’s ergonomic GTP workstations will deliver increased productivity, throughput and OH&S benefits.