Demag rope hoists and drive components hold 36-tonne video module in European stadium
Four rope hoists and drive components from Demag Cranes & Components have been used to suspend a 36-tonne video module at the new national stadium in Bucharest, Romania.
One of the largest video modules in Europe, the unique multimedia element is integrated into a wire rope suspension system installed above the new national stadium in the Romanian capital. Demag hoist technology is helping to lower and lift the module safely and precisely depending on the needs of the event.
The S[quadrat] GmbH company based in Schwanstetten, Germany is responsible for the development, planning and installation of the video module. Mark Siedentopf, General Manager of S[quadrat] explained that they found in Demag Cranes, a partner with a proven track record of technical expertise and experience in the implementation of comparable solutions.
The new Arena Nationala in the city of Bucharest is a EUR 140 million stadium that can accommodate 55,000 spectators and is the largest football stadium in the country.
Measuring 11.5 metres wide, 9 metres long and 9.2 metres high, the video module is installed above the centre of the playing field and allows spectators to follow events on the pitch in high detail and perfect image quality on four 32m² displays.
S[quadrat] followed recommendations by Demag Cranes for employing coupled rope hoists as the lifting solution for the video module thanks to their compact design, long hook path and high availability.
According to Dr Thomas Bönker, Head of Components at Demag Cranes, the company had already delivered on a similar project at the Commerzbank Arena, the former Waldstadion in Frankfurt am Main in Germany. The experience gained from the project helped Demag manage the challenges of the Bucharest project to everyone’s satisfaction.
Highlights of Demag’s hoist technology for the video module:
- Video module is lowered and lifted by four Demag hoist units, each rated for 18-tonne loads
- Frequency inverters used to adjust the lifting and lowering speed between 0.5 and 5 metres per minute
- Hoists supplied as parallel units featuring a coaxial coupling arrangement to ensure synchronised operating motions as well as parallel motions in the vertical direction
- Demag DH hoist units driven by two Demag ZBA cylindrical rotor motors
- Special rope drums with a high-strength wire rope specially optimised to achieve a maximum possible hook path of 41.5 metres
- Rope hoists designed to meet BGV C1 accident prevention regulations for event and production facilities for stage presentations
- Rope hoists equipped with special holding brakes to satisfy BGV C1 regulations for mechanical components
- Operating limit switches provide limitation of the lifting range
- Electronic load detector integrated into the return sheave to automatically switch off the system when rated load capacity is exceeded by a factor of 1.2