Portal cranes from Demag Cranes & Components have been installed at a major road construction project in Brazil to ensure fast work progress.
Brazilian project engineering company SPMAR is using a total of 14 Demag portal cranes to complete one of the largest and most symbolic road construction projects in Latin America. The crane installations are being used for executing key transport tasks for production and construction site logistics to complete the eastern section of the Rodoanel Màrio Covas, São Paulo, a 180km-long ring road circumnavigating the city to reduce the very high congestion of the existing road network.
The road is constructed in part on columns and supporting girders requiring a special construction method that demands the use of portal cranes. Working in harsh operating conditions, Demag portal cranes transport girders, supports and other load bearing elements to the place of installation.
According to Dr Lars Brzoska, Vice President and Managing Director of Terex Material Handling, Demag crane technology is supporting the rapid implementation of the road building project, enabling the company to make a major contribution to the implementation of the prestigious infrastructure project.
Since the runway also includes curved sections, particular demands were made on the engineering of the drives. Terex Material Handling also supplied portal cranes that can negotiate curves as well as slight gradients over the course of the road.
Terex Material Handling in Brazil has assumed co-ordination of the crane project, engineering of the crane installations and the structural steelwork engineering and assembly. The central components of the cranes such as hoists, controls and drives come from the German production facility in Wetter/Ruhr.
Vigold Georg, Managing Director - Terex Material Handling in Brazil states that Demag portal cranes enable them to offer universal solutions for numerous transport tasks.
Key highlights of Demag portal cranes used on the project:
- 14 Demag ZVPE double-girder full portal cranes
- Eight identical crane installations designed to work simultaneously on four construction sites of the project
- 17m spans with each crane installation able to serve three lanes for one direction of travel, transporting prefabricated concrete parts
- Equipped with a double-rail crab and a DR 20 rope hoist
- Load capacity of 32 tonnes
- Lifting height of seven metres
- Drive units and brakes designed to accommodate gradients of 2.5%
- Crane installations configured to follow the curve-shaped course of the road section
- All cranes meet requirements associated with outdoor use in the sub-tropical climate zone and harsh site conditions
- Six full-portal cranes, each with a span of 18m for lifting and transport tasks in the production plant for construction materials
- Four full-portal cranes with 32 t load capacity and two cranes with 16 t load capacity travel on three parallel crane runways 360m in length