Wind River, whose software products are available in Australia from Dedicated Systems Australia , recently announced the availability of VxWorks version 6.8, a real-time operating system for the embedded industry.
Wind River’s continued investment into the VxWorks real-time operating system has resulted in improvements in multicore support and fundamental operating system features; decreasing time-to-market, lowering costs and improving quality for device manufacturers.
VxWorks is a high-performance, reliable, commercial-grade real-time operating system that addresses the diverse needs of embedded systems. VxWorks 6.8 provides product differentiation via increased performance, a smaller footprint and hardware platform flexibility.
This latest version of VxWorks also provides choice in multicore architecture, improved OS primitives, USB support, and file system performance, all providing customers with increased product quality, more compatibility and improved product performance.
Additional key features and benefits of the VxWorks 6.8 real-time operating system include:
- comprehensive mobile IP support to provide devices with next-generation networking capabilities for 4G and pre-4G including LTE and WiMAX technologies;
- increased multicore processor support for Intel Core i7 processor, ARM MPCore and Cortex A9; Freescale QorIQ P2020; Cavium 54xx, 55xx, 56xx, 57xx, 58xx; and RMI XLR, XLS
- symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) performance improvements and SMP core reservation
- asymmetric multiprocessing (AMP) enhancements such as AMP spin locks, and a major upgrade to Wind River’s multi-OS inter-process communication with MIPC version 2.0
- new small ARM footprint profile for creating embedded applications with very small memory requirements; and
- significant developer tool productivity improvements, including VxWorks core dump file and analysis, and improvements to multicore and multi-OS debugging and user workflows.