What firmware options does Hirschmann provide?
Hirschmann provide a range of firmware options to allow the purchase of just the required features. Broadly grouped by Layer 2 (Switching) and Layer 3 (Routing) models, the options are divided into Basic (B), Enhanced (E) and Professional (P) versions. Hence L2P represents a Layer 2 Device with Professional version firmware. Please note the following points:
- The five groups are abbreviated as L2B, L2E, L2P, L3E and L3P as illustrated below.
- The 'Enhanced' version is the default version that will be quoted and supplied unless specified otherwise.
- Layer 3 capable models (PowerMICE and MACH4000) are only available in L2P, L3E and L3P versions.
- What the Hirschmann documentation refers to 'software' is more commonly called 'firmware'.
- While firmware revisions for all devices are freely available from the Hirschmann web site, the Layer capability of a device is not upgradeable. That is, an L2E device can not be changed to an L2P or L3E model for example. Consequently, firmware versions should be selected with care at time of .
- Firmware revisions may be specified as part of the part number to ensure that new equipment is delivered consistent with existing equipment. If no revision is specified at time of order, the latest available revision will generally be installed.
- Firmware revisions are readily changed through the use of the switch browser interface. A cold restart after download completes the process.