Luminary Micro, represented by Cutter Electronics has released the Luminary Micro Stellaris Serial-to-Ethernet Reference Design Kit (RDK-S2E).
The Luminary Micro Stellaris Serial-to-Ethernet Reference Design Kit (RDK-S2E) offers an ideal, open-tool, and ready-to-implement solution designed to add web connectivity to any serial device.
Included in the RDK-S2E is the tiny-footprint Luminary Micro Stellaris Serial-to-Ethernet Module (MDL-S2E).
The most common application for the MDL-S2E is for augmenting legacy products that only contain a serial port for a configuration or control interface.
In addition, newer computers, especially laptop computers, do not necessarily have serial ports, and a serial connection is limited by cable length (typically 10 m).
Simply installing a Stellaris Serial-to-Ethernet Module into the legacy serial device provides many benefits including no major board redesign or software changes, easy sharing on a network other than Ethernet, tiny form-factor for unobtrusive implementation, and 10-meter maximum cable length for serial connections is no longer a limitation.
The MDL-S2E is the first serial-to-Ethernet converter available with a highly integrated ARM Cortex-M3 microcontroller with 50 MHz of performance and ample single-cycle, on-chip Flash and SRAM memory for efficient network traffic handling.
For maximum space savings, the Stellaris microcontroller is offered in a small BGA package and integrates the 10/100 Ethernet MAC and PHY on-chip.
While the MDL-S2E is ready out-of-the-box for immediate integration in a system, complete software source files are included for simplified customisation.
- Stellaris Serial-to-Ethernet Module (MDL-S2E) RS-232 adaptor board
- Retractable Ethernet cable
- DB9 serial cable
- USB cable
- Quickstart guide, user’s manual, software reference manual, board data sheet, source code, BOM, schematics, and Gerber files on CD
The RDK-S2E ships with the MDL-S2E module. The MDL-S2E is a ready-for-production serial-to-Ethernet module with the following features:
- LM3S6432 in a 10 x 10 mm BGA package for reduced board size
- 10/100 Mbit Ethernet port
- Auto MDI/MDIX cross-over correction
- Traffic and link indicators Serial ports
- UART ports include RTS/CTS for flow control
- UART0 has RS232 levels, transceiver runs at up to 250 Kbits/sec
- UART1 has CMOS/TTL levels, can run at 1.5 Mbits/sec
- IP configuration with static IP address or DHCP
- Telnet server for access to serial port
- Web server for module configuration
- UDP responder for device discovery
- Telnet client for Ethernet-based serial port extender
- SSH server for secure communications Module supports 5 V and 3.3 V supplies
- Multiple mounting options
- JTAG port pads for factory programming
The board in this kit is also available as a standalone module in single unit and volume quantities (no CD, adaptor board, cables, or power supply).