Forklift manufacturer Crown Equipment extends its global environmental commitment with the release of its 2010 Crown ecologic Report highlighting the company’s sustainability initiatives and accomplishments around the world.
Crown Equipment Corporation is a world-leading manufacturer of forklift trucks.
The 2010 ecologic report communicates the company’s commitment to sustainable design and business operations including accomplishments in the past year, initiatives in progress, and awards and recognition.
This year’s report includes two new sections detailing sustainable design as well as safety and health programs.
Key ecological initiatives by Crown Equipment:
- Retrieved and recycled waste materials in Australia
- Recycled 1192 tons of scrap metal, over 700 m³ of cardboard, 740 tons of lead batteries, and over 50m³ of plastic materials in 2009-2010
- Crown Australia uses LPG-powered company cars that will save a further 58 tons of carbon per year
- Crown’s electronics manufacturing plant in New Bremen, Ohio, USA achieved zero landfill status, becoming the 2nd Crown facility to reuse or recycle all of its waste
Crown President Jim Dicke III comments that Crown ecologic represents the synergies that exist between environmental responsibility and sound business management.
Buyers of Crown lift trucks can be confident they have selected a truck that is manufactured with minimal waste and designed for exceptional energy efficiency and long life.
Additionally, Crown and Walmart Canada collaborated on a project to equip the retail giant’s new perishable distribution centre with a fleet of Crown PC 4500 lift trucks incorporating hydrogen fuel cells.
The Crown PC 4500 lift truck was one of the earliest pallet trucks to be designed specifically for fuel cells in an effort to ensure there was no negative impact on safety, efficiency and performance. Crown has qualified 20 of its electric lift trucks to operate with fuel cells.
Crown’s 2010 ecologic program also included these accomplishments:
- All facilities in all regions deployed full load-consolidation programs, identified new recycling streams, and added recycling symbols to all applicable new and existing parts
- Crown Mexico earned a ‘Clean Industry Certification’ from the Mexican Environmental Authority Procuradoría Federal de Protección al Ambiente
- Crown Roding, Germany reduced packaging materials throughout its operations and started using shredded cardboard for parts shipping
- Proactively worked with suppliers to deliver most components to the assembly line in reusable containers
- Crown China upgraded facilities to maximise energy use through installation of a variable frequency drive controlled compressor that matches air conditioning units’ running speed with demand