Clarke & Severn Electronics presents the newly launched connectors from Omnetics designed for high reliability miniaturisation of military, aerospace and medical equipment.
The latching Micro-D connectors from Omnetics Connector Corporation feature a new squeeze-latch system that offers significant advantages in making quick cable connections to rack and panel equipment. The new push-and-latch design reduces the time and effort required to plug the connector into a circuit while also eliminating the use of screwdrivers and hand tools.
Miniaturised instruments used in unmanned vehicle systems, optical surveillance and portable electronics often require quick connect and disconnect methods. Even medical devices such as surgery tools, ultrasound monitors and optical scopes require frequent connection and removal from instrument panels.
The panel-mount connectors offer options for connecting inside the instrument, including PC board lead frames and direct wiring. Highly rugged and compact designs using aluminium alloy 6061 shells with nickel plating, offer contact counts from 9 to 51 positions.
The small and lightweight latching Micro-D connectors offer a highly reliable and rugged quick-connection system as the perfect fit for many miniaturised equipment designs. Digital signals from optical surveillance systems, low voltage differential signals and even lower current power supplies are fitting the quick-change design opportunities of the new latching Micro-D connection systems.
Conversion from the older jackscrew designs can be done by adding a simple ‘latching adapter’ to existing Micro-D connectors.
Key features of latching Micro-D connectors:
- Passed extensive shock and vibration testing, including pull tests that exceed 100 pound pull force
- One piece beryllium copper flex pin design, plated with nickel/gold for robust service operates from -55ºC to +125ºC
- Wired connectors include 26 AWG Teflon insulated copper wire providing up to 3 amps per line
- Wide range of wire count and cables can be designed into custom back-shells for long range ruggedized service
- Cable systems include braided shields to reduce electrical noise interference, EMI and cross talk