Wolfson’s power management IC and speaker driver, available from Caelera was selected by Samsung for its latest M1 portable media player, the M1. The M1 includes the WM8351, an integrated power management IC with a stereo audio CODEC, and the WM9001, a mono 1W switchable class AB/D speaker driver, both of which offer a highly integrated solution providing exceptional sound quality and extended battery life to leading edge portable multimedia devices, such as the M1.
Benefits of using the WM8351 power management IC include:
- The WM8351 power management IC enables the creation of new multimedia platforms, whilst significantly enhancing the user experience
- Reduces power consumption
- Reduces system cost, design and manufacturing complexity and time-to-market
- Consumer electronics manufacturers can make savings up to 25% off the bill of materials (BOM) cost and 50% on the board footprint in the areas of audio and power management
- An integrated audio CODEC which provides all the necessary functions for high-quality stereo recording and playback
- programmable on-chip amplifiers allow direct connection of headphones and microphones with a minimum of external components
- An on-chip battery charger also supports both trickle charging and fast (constant current, constant voltage) charging of single-cell lithium batteries
Jess Brown, power management product line manager at Wolfson, said: “We are delighted that Samsung has selected our technology for its innovative M1 media player. Our inclusion in the M1 is a great endorsement of our power management and audio amplifier product lines, and is testimony to the exceptional quality that our products offer.
“The WM8351 provides a highly integrated solution, and connects seamlessly with the flexible WM9001 Class AB/D speaker driver: a perfect fit for today’s leading edge multimedia devices, like the Samsung M1.”