Caelera supplies a new line of digital MEMS microphones launched recently by Wolfson Microelectronics plc.
The next-generation digital silicon micro-electro-mechanical-systems or MEMS microphones delivering high clarity audio include the WM7210 and WM7220 models.
Already in demand by many of the world’s leading consumer electronics manufacturers, Wolfson’s digital MEMS microphones offer advantages such as:
- Low power consumption
- Excellent audio capture
- Superior signal-to-noise (SNR) ratio of 58dB
- Low total harmonic distortion (THD)
- Miniature low profile package
The digital MEMS microphones are suitable for applications such as mobile phones, PCs, portable media players, digital still cameras and navigation devices.
The WM7210 and WM7220 digital MEMS microphones complement Wolfson’s high volume family of analogue MEMS microphones, which were announced in 2008.
Based on Wolfson’s proprietary CMOS/MEMS membrane technology, the new digital microphones deliver high reliability, performance and resistance to high temperatures required in automated flow solder assembly, which can damage conventional microphones.
The low THD advantage in these microphones ensures crystal-clear sound, eliminating distortion of loud sounds by the microphone.
Key features of Wolfson’s digital MEMS microphones:
- Low THD performance even at very high sound pressure levels
- Saves battery life with ultra low sleep mode power consumption
- Each microphone incorporates a high performance ADC, which outputs a single bit Pulse Density Modulated (PDM) format audio data stream
- Microphone output can be defined for left or right configuration allowing for applications requiring stereo operation
Nigel Burgess, Wolfson’s Product Line Manager for MEMS Microphones says that the WM7210 and the WM7220 digital microphones represent ideal solutions for a vast range of consumer applications with their delivery of ultra low distortion, superior signal-to-noise ratio and Wolfson-quality performance.
The WM7210 digital MEMS microphones are available in a 4mm x 3mm x 1mm thin package design, while the WM7220 is available in a 4.72mm x 3.76mm x 1.25mm package.