RF Micro Devices, Inc. has partnered with Freescale Semiconductor to deliver ZigBee solutions for smart grid applications.
RFMD is a world-leading specialist in the design and manufacture of high-performance RF components and compound semiconductor technologies. RFMD’s products are available from Caelera .
RFMD's newly introduced RF6535 ZigBee front end module (FEM) has been combined with Freescale's MC1321x System-in-Package (SiP) to create the RF6535/MC1321x reference design.
The RF6535/MC1321x reference design simplifies RF design requirements, while reducing product cost and complexity.
The reference design is targeted at ZigBee Smart Energy and Home Area Network (HAN) applications that require high RF performance to ensure a robust and reliable operation in varying environments.
Working together, RFMD and Freescale address the need for aggressive size reductions in IEEE 802.15.4 designs with a reduced solution footprint and minimised component count.
Bob Van Buskirk, President of RFMD's Multi-Market Products Group (MPG) comments that RFMD and Freescale are leveraging each other's expertise to deliver high-performance, highly integrated solutions that reduce design cycle times, lower customer costs and accelerate product time-to-market.
He adds that large-scale smart energy projects are forecast to grow rapidly, with particular demand anticipated in low-power wireless technologies such as ZigBee.
Brett Black, Manager of Freescale's Wireless Connectivity Organization says that emerging markets such as Smart Energy require increased output power for extended range and reliable communications.
Key features of RFMD's RF6535 ZigBee FEMs
- 2.4GHz to 2.5GHz +22dBm power amplifier
- Tx harmonic output filter
- Double-pole double-throw (DPDT) diversity switch
- Low-noise amplifier (LNA)
- Housed in a 3.5 x 3.5 x 0.5mm package three times smaller than competitive products
- Compact package reduces discrete component requirements while minimising footprint and assembly costs
- Transceiver interface is a two-port Rx/Tx integrated balun
- Enables customers to accelerate new ZigBee products to market while reducing component count, size, cost and power consumption
RFMD's RF6535 single-chip ZigBee FEM is specifically optimised for Smart Energy/AMI applications including smart meters and HAN devices such as home energy gateways, in-home displays and appliances.
Key features of Freescale's MC1321x System-in-Package (SiP)
- Incorporates a low-power 2.4 GHz radio frequency transceiver and a microcontroller into a single LGA package
- LGA package meets cost and limited product space budgets while providing excellent RF system performance
Coupled with RFMD's RF6535 FEM, the MC1321x fits perfectly with most ZigBee applications in consumer electronics, energy management, healthcare, home automation, telecommunication services as well as building and industrial automation.