Connect One have released Nano WiReach, an embedded WiFi bridge that connects any embedded device to 802.11b/g wireless LANs with minimal programming. The Nano WiReach is available from Caelera .
Measuring 1.7x3.3cm, the Nano WiReach’s multiple hardware interfaces and extensive firmware functionality make it the versatile WiFi solution for embedded devices.
Based on Connect One’s iChipSec CO2144 IP controller chip, the Nano WiReach includes a full suite of internet protocols and applications, enabling immediate and full–featured connectivity for embedded solutions without any WiFi driver development or porting.
The Nano WiReach’s firmware supports several modes of operation such as:
- LAN to WiFi Bridge: allowing transparent bridging of LAN over WiFi using direct RMII connection to existing MAC hardware. Any microcontroller with a built-in Ethernet MAC can be connected to WiFi with zero development effort
- Serial to WiFi Bridge: enabling transparent bridging of serial data over WiFi using the module’s speedy 3-Mbps UART
- Full internet controller mode: allowing simple microcontrollers to use the Nano WiReach’s protocol and application capabilities to perform complex internet operations such as e-mail, FTP, SSL, embedded web server and others. Internet controller mode can be used with any hardware interface
- Embedded IP routing: allowing multiple WiFi clients to use a single WAN connection to the internet, using the Nano WiReach as a router
- PPP emulation: offering existing (e.g. cellular modem) designs currently using PPP to interface to the cellular modem by connecting transparently over WiFi with no changes to application or drivers
The Nano WiReach offers a highly advanced level of internet security. It includes the latest WiFi encryption algorithms (WPA/WPA2, in both PSK and enterprise modes) and internet SSL encryption algorithms.
The Nano WiReach also serves as an inherent firewall, protecting the embedded application from attacks originating from the internet.
According to Ariel Shulman, Vice President Sales for Connect One, customers are looking for easy and cost-effective ways to WiFi-enable devices with serial, LAN, or cellular modem connections. The Nano WiReach offers an immediate solution, reducing time to market and allowing customers to launch cost-effective WiFi-enabled products.
The Nano WiReach effectively and quickly enables WiFi-devices that use any kind of embedded real-time operating system. Designers do not need to port/write WiFi drivers or significantly reprogram their applications to connect to WiFi using the Nano WiReach.
In internet controller mode, the Nano WiReach is driven by simple text commands and offloads the WiFi drivers, WPA supplicant, internet security, networking protocols, and all communication tasks from the host microcontroller and application.
This offloading of communication tasks frees up host processing bandwidth and simplifies the wireless design process. As the Nano WiReach firmware is remotely updateable, new security or connectivity protocols do not require application redesign, increased memory or faster processor speeds.
The Nano WiReach supports:
- 10 simultaneous TCP/UDP sockets
- Two listening TCP sockets
- SMTP, MIME, POP3, FTP, Telnet, and HTTP/HTTPS clients
- An HTTP/HTTPS embedded web server with a website for the host application and one for configuring the module
The Nano WiReach module operates at an industrial temperature range of -40° to 85° C (-40° to 185° F) and is RoHS-compliant.