The company was having issues with its work in process conveyer system, and wanted upgrade it so it would be able to automatically route and sort electronic assemblies for WIP and testing functions.
The new conveyers systems operate as follows:
- Operator places empty trays on the roller conveyers.
- Another operator places individual units on the empty trays, along with paperwork that contains information regarding what is to be done with the particular unit.
- The roller conveyers move the trays along until they reach the operator work stations.
- Once trays reach the correct workstation, the bi-directional sorters divert them into the correct zone for processing.
- The new conveyer systems are equipped with divert confirm photoeyes, which determine whether the tray divert was successful.
- When divert lanes are full, the new conveyer systems inform the operators, who subsequently move the tray/s to storage.