Curtis Instruments Inc. announces the launch of a very significant upgrade to the Curtis AC motor speed controller family.
The new Curtis ‘E’ series of controllers utilise a powerful dual-microprocessor logic core that meets all relevant requirements of the EN ISO 13849-1:2009 functional safety standard, and the updated EN 1175-1:1998+A1:2010 industrial truck safety standard.
The first in the ‘E’ series is the Model 1232E AC motor speed controller, which delivers best-in-class control of AC induction motors and offers high levels of functional safety. Designed for use as the traction controller on class 3 materials handling ‘walkie’ vehicles and other small battery-powered industrial trucks, Model 1232E AC motor speed controllers are equally suitable as a pump controller for auxiliary hydraulic functions on larger industrial vehicles.
Improvements over the earlier Model 1232 include:
- Powerful dual-micro logic core allows full compliance with EN ISO 13849-1, eliminating the need for any additional safety/supervisory control modules
- Faster 64MHz micro improves motor control, and more than doubles the VCL code execution speed
- Additional FLASH memory gives twice the available VCL code space
- Increased CAN Master capabilities with 6 additional VCL CAN ‘mailboxes’
- Curtis VCL - Vehicle Control Language is an easy-to-use programming language that allows vehicle developers to write powerful logic functions and create a ‘virtual system controller’
- Indirect Field Orientation (IFO) vector control algorithm generates maximum torque and efficiency across the entire speed range for superb drive ‘feel’, improved speed regulation and superior gradient climbing capability
- Curtis Auto-Tune function enables quick and easy characterisation of the motor without having to remove it from the vehicle
- Fully compatible with any brand of AC induction motor
- Dual-drive functionality is standard, allowing correct control of applications featuring twin traction motors
- Dual-drive ensures smooth and safe operation, minimal tyre wear and correct load sharing between traction motors at all times
- Configurable CANbus connection allows communication with other CANbus enabled devices
- CANopen compatible and can accommodate both 11-bit and 29-bit CAN protocols of various profiles
- Integrated system controller
- Multi-function I/O pins for use as analogue inputs, digital inputs, contactor coil drivers and proportional valve drivers
- Capable of functioning as a full CAN system master
- Available in 24V 180A, 24V 250A, 36-48V 200A, and 48-80V 175A versions