Bonfiglioli Transmission (Aust) is custom engineering their heavy duty alignment-free drives (AFD) to cost-effectively integrate motor and gearbox to enable low maintenance high performance in rugged, remote and demanding applications.
The new HD alignment-free drives were recently custom engineered for an inclined ship loading coal conveyor in Indonesia, one of many Australasian-engineered mounting options by Bonfiglioli for specific applications.
The new HDO 110 AFD drive recently completed for the Indonesian mining customer was custom engineered to be compact, easy to fit and remove, and with motor driving direct to gearbox for optimum performance.
Available in capacities up to 1722 kW and 150,000 Nm, the HD AFD combinations offer an alternative to laser-aligned baseplate types while allowing the versatile use of close coupled IEC B5 flange mounted motors up to a 315 frame size.
The easily installed HD AFD drives complement Bonfiglioli’s HD Power Pack drives on base plates and Hi-Torque drives combining HD drives and Trasmital planetaries. Bonfiglioli leads the market as a major supplier of helical drives, planetary drives, worm drives and frequency inverters.
According to Mr Malcolm Lewis, Managing Director of Bonfiglioli Transmission (Australia) Pty Ltd, the HD drive combinations are particularly suited to conveyor drives and materials handling applications across a wide range of industries including manufacturing, mineral processing, primary processing, resources, energy as well as water and wastewater.
Key features of Bonfiglioli’s custom engineered HD alignment-free drives:
- New generation of large industrial drives engineered to produce excellent reliability and torque densities to record values
- Specific drives can be adapted to specific applications on Bonfiglioli’s new production and testing line
- Built-in durability with alignment-free construction, rigid flange output coupling, forced ventilation, epoxy paint and Taconite protective seals
- Saves time and money in a range of applications by eliminating the need to laser align the motor and gearbox shafts
- Reduced initial costs compared with traditional baseplate designs
- HD AFD configuration enhances serviceability by permitting high speed components to be removed and replaced without the need for re-alignment
- Excellent torque distribution across their entire ratio range, with gear ratios laid out in close progression and drives having a rugged capacity to cope with the shock and impact of intermittent loads
Finite Element Analysis and Multi Body Simulations were conducted extensively to identify the stress pattern on each of the main components and to optimise the design for:
- System structural stiffness
- Gear geometry
- Shaft deflection
- Extended gear and bearing lifetime
Features of Bonfiglioli’s HD drives:
- Ratios from 7:1 to 500:1
- Reduced noise emissions from fully hardened and ground alloy steel helical and bevel gears to DIN Class 6
- SG cast iron housings and high grade alloy steel shafts with induction hardened seal journals ensure greater service life in demanding conditions
- High efficiencies from fully hardened and ground alloy helical and bevel gears in conjunction with premium high speed bearings
- Superior lubrication achieved by combining splash lubrication with dedicated galleries and lubricant collection pockets incorporated into the internal walls of housing and side covers
- Incorporates heavy duty roller bearings allowing high load carrying capacities and consistent bearing lifetimes
- Numerous mounting and shaft options resulting from the HD’s multi-machined case and symmetrical design
- Shaft options include hollow keyed bore, single or double solid-keyed, shrink disc and male/female splines on request