Commercial Ethernet, which was developed over 30 years ago, is a widely installed LAN standard since it is used in a majority of the world's LAN-connected PCs and workstations.
According to Adam Callender, Regional Manager for Belden 's Australian and New Zealand operations, this technology has evolved in terms of better overall performance and faster speeds. It has Ethernet's appropriateness for the industrial environment.
Industrial Ethernet provides a common physical media among the various process/manufacturing devices, plus it seamlessly integrates the data flow between the front office and the plant floor. Although Industrial Ethernet Cabling is based upon the same standards as commercial Ethernet technology (ANSI/TIA/EIA-568B), the two environments differ. The office-type environment offers its cabling system a relative safe harbour, but the industrial world can present harsh and hazardous environmental conditions. There is a risk in bringing commercial type cabling and connectivity products into the industrial landscape in the latter environment. Recognising this, Belden Australia have invested in cabling system components designed specifically for the industrial environment, namely Belden DataTuff Industrial Ethernet cabling and connectivity solutions.
Belden's DataTuff cabling products include sealed and non-sealed IP rated products and the patented Bonded-Pair technology. The sealed products are built for mission critical applications in harsh environments such as factory and process areas in unprotected and outdoor environments. They are resistant to ingress of dust, moisture, water, oil and chemicals exposure. The non-sealed cord sets are designed for use inside protected enclosures, control rooms, etc., but may be subjected to harsh conditions such as extreme temperatures, EMI/RFI and vibration.
Belden's DataTuff connectivity solutions and accessories include:
- Cord Sets (RJ45) Cat 5e UTP or FTP: Solid or stranded 24 AWG conductors and industrial grade sunlight/oil resistant jackets suitable for use in IP67 or IP20 installations
- Modular Jack (RJ45): Cat 5e UTP or FTP suitable for use in IP67 installations
- Plug Kits (RJ45):Cat 5e UTP or FTPsuitable for use in IP67 installations
- Stainless Steel Faceplates: 1- or 2-port single gang or 4-port double gang suitable for use in IP67 installations
- Surface Mount Boxes: 1-, 2-, 3- or 4-port
- Stainless Steel Cover: Suitable for use in IP67 installations
- Cable Stripper: Punch-down connecting tool and tool pouch
- Hand tool to crimp UTP and FTP RJ45 plugs
The first number indicates the level of protection that the enclosure provides against access to hazardous parts (i.e., electrical conductors, moving parts) and the ingress of solid foreign objects.
This number indicates protection of the equipment, inside the enclosure, against harmful ingress of water.
IP67 = Protected against ingress of dust and complete protection against contact; Protected against immersion up to 1 metre: ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1m of submersion).