Belden Australia announces the release of its new software platform for its Hirschmann product series, used in the MACH 100, 1000 and 4000, MICE, RS, RSR and Octopus families of managed switches.
A world leader in industrial automation solutions, Hirschmann has one of the widest portfolios of switches in the industry with application in key vertical markets including machine building, oil and gas, public transport, traffic control, alternative power generation, power transmission and distribution, data centres, professional broadcast and audio/video, safety and security, and enterprise.
Like previous versions, the latest release 7.0 of this software platform offers a range of functions normally only found in backbone systems for the office area. These include comprehensive management, diagnosis and filter functions in addition to various redundancy methods, security mechanisms and real time applications.
In addition to DVMRP and PIM-DM, the new PIM-SM multicast protocol is provided for Layer 3, enabling optimum utilisation of bandwidth. The configuration, security and service functions have also been further enhanced.
The latest software update allows users to create configurations offline, without any active connection to the switches, and which can be stored locally and copied to the devices subsequently.
Hirschmann's ARC protocol also makes it possible to configure an MRP ring automatically, enhancing the speed and reliability of this process. Only one switch must be modified in order to completely configure all others in the ring. All settings are then automatically stored on every switch.
Highlights of the new software platform release:
- Using IEEE802.1x multi-client authentication, several users can be authenticated on the same switch port
- Blocked users can be automatically added to a ‘guest VLAN’ with restricted usage rights
- Ports with faulty electrical or optical connections can be automatically deactivated to ensure network stability
- Additional service functions provided for IP telephony
- LLDP for media endpoint device discovery (LLDP-MED) permits automatic assignment of network rules
- Automatic incorporation of IP phones into a voice VLAN ensures uniform voice quality