Belden’s Hirschmann MACH1000 Gigabit Ethernet switches, Industrial HiVision Network Management Software and Belden DataTuff Category 6 cables were installed as part of the Ethernet upgrade at the electrical substations of the City of Naperville.
Illinois’ City of Naperville implemented an Ethernet substation network to achieve maximum uptime and tight security. In addition to meeting the City’s specific requirements, Belden’s ability to provide an end-to-end Ethernet solution consisting of substation hardened Gigabit Ethernet switches, PoE capabilities, network management software and connectivity was a determining factor in their selection for the project.
Key requirements included:
- Switch compliance with IEC 61850-3 and IEEE 1613; UL listed cables
- Rack mountable switch
- Switch with single-mode, multimode and copper ports
- Switch temperature range performance of -40°C to +85°C; high RFI/EMI immunity
- Extremely high reliability networking components
- Single source supplier with network design and on-site training capabilities
- Local representation/expert support
To meet the City’s service requirements, Belden provided network design assistance, on-site training (two days, including basic and advanced Ethernet instruction) and experienced support.
The networking system also included some user-friendly benefits such as a common user interface for all system components and an ACA-21 USB option that allowed the user to easily back-up and restore settings with no networking knowledge necessary.
An Ethernet network transports all data to and from the City’s 16 substations via Hirschmann MACH1000 switches. The topology used is Fast HIPER-Ring; all network components are protected by redundant power supplies (UPS). The Hirschmann Gigabit Ethernet switches provide the bandwidth necessary for VoIP communications, which greatly reduces the monthly, recurring costs from the local phone provider. The substation network interfaces with the corporate LAN for easy access by management personnel. Video cameras at each substation help secure each site.
Key benefits achieved by the City of Naperville with the Belden-Hirschmann Ethernet upgrade:
- Entire network can be monitored and managed on a 24/7 basis from a single interface
- VoIP phones at each site powered by the Ethernet switches for greatly reduced local phone provider bills
- Secure communications with computers and phones operating on their own, exclusive bandwidth
- Video cameras provide tight security with 24/7 surveillance