RMIT University recently conducted a four-month Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) for Barrier Group with the key objective of the study being to compare the cradle-to-grave environmental impacts including end-of-life disposal scenarios for Barrier Group’s new high-tech Compliance one piece wheel stop in comparison with wheel stops made from recycled rubber.
The LCA has shown the clear advantage of Compliance wheel stops over recycled rubber wheel stops.
The study quantified and compared the life cycle environmental impacts (including those related to manufacture, distribution, use and disposal) of Barrier Group’s Compliance one piece wheel stop made from injection-moulded linear low density polyethylene (LLDPE), with recycled rubber wheel stops produced using reclaimed tyres and scrap rubber from a variety of sources and manufacturers.
Five key impact assessment indicators were applied:
- Global warming: A comparison of climate change effects as a result of the various production processes
- Water use: A comparison of total water usage used in the various production processes
- Solid waste: A comparison of how much solid waste is generated by the various processes
- Photo-oxidation formation: A comparison of summer smog emissions in the production of each type of product
- A comparison of the depletion of minerals and fossil fuels as a result of the various processes
Definitive conclusions from RMIT University indicate that the Compliance one piece wheel stop is a better alternative than recycled rubber. Barrier Group’s Compliance one piece wheel stop has been found to be the green alternative to rubber. Key benefits include resistance to fading, rotting, rusting and cracking in addition to its solid colour, UV stability and robustness.
Compliance one piece wheel stops are available in three UV-stabilised colours: Safety Yellow for increased visibility and pedestrian safety, Blue for highlighting disabled parking spaces and Concrete Grey.
Lightweight at 4.5kg, the Compliance one piece wheel stop is easy to install with fixings and blanking plugs included. Designed to comply with AS2890.1:2004, Compliance is manufactured from high-tech LLDPE with sustainability in mind.