BSI Group Australia offers a number of certification programs for clients looking to achieve ISO 14001 certification, an international standard that sets out the processes involved in developing an effective Environmental Management System (EMS).
Designed to address the delicate balance between maintaining profitability and reducing environmental impact, ISO 14001 certification programs cover:
- general requirements
- environmental policy
- planning implementation and operation
- checking and corrective action; and
- a management review.
Once these aspects have been identified, objectives for improvement can be developed, along with a management program to achieve them.
BSI Group then offers regular reviews to ensure continual improvement, and will periodically assess the EMS in place. If compliant, BSI Group will then register the company or site to ISO 14001.
As environmental impact is becoming an increasingly important issue across the globe, ISO 14001 certification programs are relevant to every organisation.
Certification to ISO 14001 allows companies to:
- demonstrate a commitment to achieving legal and regulatory compliance to regulators and government
- demonstrate an environmental commitment to stakeholders
- demonstrate an innovative and forward thinking approach to customers and prospective employees
- increase access to new customers and business partners
- better manage environmental risks, now and in the future; and
- potentially reduce public liability insurance costs.
For companies and organisations that are looking to take the implementation and certification of an EMS slowly, BSI Group also offers the BS 8555 STEMS scheme.
This scheme provides a means by which a management system can be gradually phased in, with assessments of performance provided at each step of the process. Once completed, this option will still result in ISO 14001 certification.