What: Three international experts from BOC/Linde and Trumpf will discuss the new developments in laser materials processing from around the globe at industry seminars
- BOC/ Linde: Dr Jim Fieret, Business Development Manager, Laser Gases (UK)
- BOC/ Linde: Dr Wolfgang Danzer, Head of Laser Technology (Germany)
- Trumpf: Ryu Tan, Product Manager, YAG Laser (Singapore)
More: Laser cutting and laser welding technology has been available for many years, offering a range of benefits that have enabled an entirely new manufacturing methodology to become established. Lasers have proved themselves as the tool of choice for flexible, rapid and cost-effective metal manufacturing of components – from one-offs to large batches.
By attending the seminars participants can gain:
- An overview of new, modern laser cutting and welding processes, applications, equipment and market trends in the South Pacific and globally
- Insight into the unique characteristics of high power lasers, ranging from CO2 laser to fibre and fibre-delivered lasers, high-power diode lasers, high power disk laser to low power pulse laser
- An overview of the exciting opportunities high power lasers offer to the manufacturing industry, and potential future developments
- An opportunity to help form a local industrial laser users association
- New Zealand: 27 May, 4-8pm, AUT Tech Park, 585 Great South Rd, Penrose
- Sydney: 28 May, 5-9pm, Star City 80 Pyrmont Street, Pyrmont
- Brisbane: 2 June, 4-8pm, Cliftons, 288 Edward Street, Brisbane
- Melbourne: 3 June, 4-8pm, Hilton Hotel, 192 Wellington Parade, East Melbourne
Dr Jim Fieret
Dr Jim Fieret obtained a doctorate in applied physics from the University of Hull in the UK. He worked for 11 years as a laser applications researcher at UK Atomic Energy Authority, followed by an 8 year career as Technology Group Leader with a UK laser systems manufacturer. He joined the Linde Group in 2005 and is currently Group Business Development Manager for Laser Solutions.
Dr Fieret will speak on:
- Markets and trends in laser sources
- Oxygen and nitrogen laser cutting, trends in power, pressure requirements, thickness capability, include a slide about Lasox
- Supply options for laser cutting assist gases, current and future requirements
- Gas supply installations for laser
Dr Wolfgang Danzer
Dr Wolfgang Danzer has a degree in welding engineering, and a doctorate in Chemistry, from Munich University. Dr Danzer joined Linde in 1976 as a material scientist, and has spent 6 years in Brazil and 8 years in Portugal in a range of commercial roles. Dr Wolfgang Danzer is currently head of The Linde Group Laser Application Development Department, based in Munich.
Dr Wolfgang Danzer will speak on:
- Laser cutting, comparing with oxy-fuel & plasma cutting
- Advanced nozzles and gas technology for laser cutting
- Remote cutting
- How we can benefit from the plasma plume
- Active laser welding shield gases (e.g. Lasgon)
- Remote welding
Ryu Tan has many years experience in technical advisory and implementation on laser application for vast industry. In his current role he is responsible for finding the right solution for the complete YAG laser product from high power CW to low power pulse laser welding.
Ryu Tan graduated in Computing Science from the University of Portsmouth (UK) and completed his MBA at University of Leicester in the United Kingdom in 2004.
Ryu Tan will speak on:
- High power laser introduction especially in automotive related application
- General applications for low power welding
- Laser deposit welding and laser cladding for material build up
- Applications for aerospace and welding of thicker metal
- New technology in Europe which involve scanner laser welding with robots