BECKHOFF Automation will present a comprehensive package of CNC control solutions for machine tools at EMO 2011, the world’s leading international trade fair for metal working to be held between 19 and 24 September in Hanover, Germany.
Beckhoff will showcase new drive technology components for the upper and lower performance segment, and the new TwinCAT 3 software generation.
Based on the Beckhoff PC control technology, which integrates all machine functions on a single hardware and software platform, the CNC control solutions are modular and finely scalable, offering optimally tailored and efficient control solutions for any task from compact dental processing centres to complex plasma cutting machines.
According to Frank Saueressig, Product Manager CNC at Beckhoff Automation, their drive technology has been expanded and safety technology integrated into the I/O and motion layer, allowing the company to offer individually tailored, complete solution packages for the whole range of machine tools.
CNC control systems from Beckhoff have been tried and tested in many sectors, including woodworking and cutting/welding machines.
With PC-based control from Beckhoff offering the basis for integrating visualisation, safety technology, measurement technology, Condition Monitoring and robotics into machine controllers, in addition to PLC, motion and CNC control, the company plans to position their flexible, PC-based solution as an alternative to conventional CNC providers.
The scalability of Beckhoff CNC control solutions covers the entire control system:
- Software: TwinCAT modular software architecture for PLC, motion and CNC functions
- PC hardware: Scalable performance for any application from compact embedded PCs with integrated I/O interface to industrial PCs with multi-core processors
- Operating panel: Wide range of control panels from basic touch panels to CNC-specific panels for machine tools available for operation and monitoring
- Communication: EtherCAT high-speed fieldbus integrates all areas of operation including I/O, motion and safety
- Drive technology: Performance related drive solutions from servo and stepper motor connection in the format of a standard Bus Terminal to the AX5000 EtherCAT drive series for medium and upper power range
- Safety technology: TwinSAFE scalable safety solution from safety I/O terminals to complex PC-based safety controllers
- Modular, multi-core-capable control architecture with a high degree of integration for PLC, motion and CNC functionalities
- Multi-channel architecture of TwinCAT CNC offers flexibility for realising different functions on the same machine
- TwinCAT Kinematic Transformation library enables robot kinematic systems to be mapped in software for seamless integration into the control system
- Engineering platform is fully integrated in Microsoft Visual Studio
- Suitable for application in scientific fields such as digital simulation of complex technical systems through the integration of Matlab/Simulink