Australian Pump Industries supplied a stainless steel pump solution to the Marubeni power station in Smithfield, Sydney.
Recycled water is being used at the power station to cool and humidify intake air to the gas turbines, resulting in cost savings for the company. However, using recycled water also increases plant corrosion levels. As part of an upgrade program, Marubeni Power Development Australia replaced the conventional cast iron submersible pump equipment with Tsurumi stainless steel electro-submersibles.
Used around the world in similar industrial and even marine applications, the cast 316 stainless steel SFQ series pumps supplied by Australian Pump Industries are specifically designed for corrosive water applications. Tsurumi Pump developed the product range in response to requirements in the Japanese market for super tough pumps for the chemical industry.
Mechanical maintenance engineer at the power station, Shane Lewis is confident from experience that Tsurumi pumps will provide trouble-free reliable operation. He adds that cast 316 stainless steel pumps resist corrosion and will require less maintenance. Tsurumi pumps also incorporate a number of features that enhance the life expectancy of the pump and cut maintenance costs.
Key features of the Tsurumi cast 316 stainless steel SFQ series pumps:
- Stator housings are cast and machined 316 stainless steel
- Casings, impellers and suction covers are also cast 316 stainless steel
- Grade of stainless steel used has a higher content of carbon for strength
- Stainless steel also has a high proportion of nickel and molybdenium for improved corrosion resistance
- No welds are required, eliminating pitting and minimising oxidisation
- Withstands abrasive liquids
- Includes 2” and 3” ports with heads to 44 metres and flows to 2,000 lpm
- High capacity semi open style impeller will perform in tough conditions
- Unique anti-wicking cable gland prevents water from wicking down inside the cable, protecting the motor
- Double silicon carbide mechanical seal with both seal surfaces submerged in an oil chamber, well away from the pumped liquid
- Patented oil lifter ensures the mechanical seal faces are always lubricated and cooled
- Backed by a 3-year warranty against faulty material or workmanship