Well positioned in this capacity, AMIF's key objectives are centred on the need to:
- educate and inform government and industry about the role of the sector in the Australian economy; and
- to proactively participate in development of sound public policy on issues affecting or impacting the retail motor trades, small business and consumers.
Members of AMIF are the:
- Motor Trades Association of Queensland
- Motor Traders' Association of New South Wales
- Victorian Automobile Chamber of Commerce (incorporating the Tasmanian Automobile Chamber of Commerce)
- Motor Trade Association of South Australia
- Australian Automobile Dealers Association; and
- the repositioned Motor Trades Association of Australia (members of which include the Motor Trades Association of the ACT and the Motor Trades Association of the Northern Territory as well as the other state motor trades associations and automobile chambers of commerce).
The National Secretariat also acts in a capacity as liaison, engaging with government, government departments and industry representatives.