The Australian Institute of Packaging (AIP) is offering their popular half-day training course on ‘Introduction to Plastics’ on Thursday the 4th of August 2011.
The plastics course will be held at Oatlands Golf Course, New South Wales and will be delivered by training course presenter Pierre Pienaar FAIP.
- Introduction to basic principles, techniques and equipment for commonly-used physical and analytical tests on polymeric materials
- Non-mathematical introduction to plastics, their raw materials, syntheses, properties and applications
- Manufacture and properties of plastics as a function of the molecular properties of polymers used in the plastics industry
- Understanding plastics and their usage to help make better informed decisions in specific applications
- Understanding the fundamentals of polymeric materials to help ensure ‘cost effective packaging’
- Reviewing the main drivers of using plastics over other packaging materials
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Discuss the different mainstream plastic materials used in general packaging
- Understand basic organic chemistry associated with plastics
- Understand plastics and their appropriate applications
- Understand as to how different plastic moulding systems work
- Make informed decisions regarding plastic and their costs
- Choose appropriate plastic material for specific uses
- Acquire an appreciation of future trends and developments within the polymer science confines of packaging
The half-day Introduction to Plastics course is designed for people directly involved in packaging operations as well as design and development within all packaging associated industries.