Australian Forklift Training , an official training company in Australia, offers practical advice and assistance in acquiring forklift licences.
Australian Forklift Training has provided safety tips on the changes made to the laws regarding forklifts working near powerlines and electrical hazards in NSW.
There were changes to the laws regarding the use of forklifts near powerlines that many people still are not aware of. The old safe distances from powerlines were 2m from domestic power and 6m from high voltage transmission lines.
Now, the current distances are as follow:
- 3m for voltage up to 132,000V
- 6m for voltages above 132,000V
- 8m for voltages above 330,000V
Operators are supposed to know where power sources are located in the workplace as well as how far away they must keep their forklift.
Here is the standard procedure to follow when an operator contacts electricity.
If contact with power lines must be made, then the following procedure has to be observed:
- Warn other people to stay clear and not to touch the forklift
- Try and break contact with the power lines by moving the forklift if possible
- Remain in or on the forklift until informed that the conditions are safe
- If the operator has to leave the forklift, he/she has to jump clear, ensuring that the forklift and the ground are not contacted at the same time